• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Learning guitar

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Learning guitar"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I think Jazz piano is a lot harder than Jazz guitar, because once you have a "lick" you can simply transpose, so in effect you can learn this stuff more or less without having the musical theory. I do classical guitar, but I learnt blues more or less by playing around, and then with Jazz admittedly I did a few exercises but eventually got a hang of the feeling, adapt the blues patterns to be jazz patterns, a got the hang of the Jazz 12 bar chord progression, and then away you go. Have no idea about chromatic progressions but throw in a heap of cool dischordant notes in my Jazz licks.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    hmmm. i'm with frank zappa on this. learn the seven chords and then shut up and play yer guitar!
    Good Album - I think the best ever electric guitar sols was Zappas sublime 'Zombty Woof' from the album Overnight Sensation - Fleet was a big Zappa fan - bless him.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    He can play jazz - he just despises it. ( Probably 'cos his grandad is a jazz musician... )

I beg to differ - as it happens I can play the classics which I happen to like - Debussy , Bach Rachmaninov etc all based on my Knowledege of Jazz - they are different mediums of musical expression - but both require a knowledge of musical theory which is consistent in both cases.

Believe it or not - you have to be able to play all piano scales and chromatics to be a reasonable jazz Pianist - its not all flash improvisation you know.

And - it dont mean a thing if it aint got swing.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 July 2009, 07:04.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    He can play jazz - he just despises it. ( Probably 'cos his grandad is a jazz musician... )

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    nothing
    At least, that's what my son told me to say... (he's a pretty good classical pianist).
    but wrong.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    ...If you're really crap just turn up the volume and no-one will ever know...
    gain

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    ...I play jazz piano too so I know all about musical theory ...
    nothing
    At least, that's what my son told me to say... (he's a pretty good classical pianist).

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Having played the guitar for some 30 years now I say you are off to a bad start - its much better to learn the guitar on an acoustic rather than an electric.

Your fingertips will hurt - the key to really enjoying the guitar is that remember your strumming technique is extremely important - most folks get caught up in trying to remember the chord shape of say Eflat mior seven - and neglect the strumming.

That approach means you will end up paicking in it after nine months.

in fact you only need to know a handful of chrods to really get rocking - I play jazz piano too so I know all about musical theory - but for the guitar - trust me you only need to know a few major chrods and their relative minors - and youre away.

Pick up my Guitar
    And Play
    Just like Yesterday
    And I Get on my knees and pray ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 16 July 2009, 08:18.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW--Charanga-...QQcmdZViewItem

when you get to a reasonable standard you can learn songs free from youtube

just type the <song name> followed by 'lesson'

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Things turn out better by accident sometimes.

But you can't organize accidents.
    Talent will out...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Things turn out better by accident sometimes.

But you can't organize accidents.

Leave a comment:

• SQLTerrorist
    replied
    mel bay would be a good resource

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I'd suggest you get yourself along to a teacher to show you the basics.
    No need if you're enthusiastic and willing to put the time in.

I bought a guitar and Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar Playing Book 1, twelve months later I did my first gig and never looked back.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I now need some advice on good sources of learning. Where do I start?
    I'd suggest you get yourself along to a teacher to show you the basics.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    .......It consists of 20 professionally produced DVDs, 5 Jam-Along CDs, a 100+ page lesson book.....
    hmmm. i'm with frank zappa on this. learn the seven chords and then shut up and play yer guitar!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Earplugs - Shirley

There is a house in New Orleans...
    When I was learning to play I'd be hammering out some tune or riff repeatedly, my old man casually asked 'is that difficult to play?', not really I said, 'well it's fckin hard to listen go outside and kick a ball.'

Ah well, he stopped complaining when my guitar playing bought him a new car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X