• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "P!ss-take job of the day"

Collapse

• Yosser Hughes
    replied
    In these tulipy times I had to take a role on £13.50 ph, less than half what I used to get.

I just had the agent on the phone with an offer of an extension if... I take a 10% cut. They might as well have turned up on site and kicked me in the balls.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    housing and general living is cheap as chips in the n/w so it wouldnt be that bad for a local job.
    Is it? Can't say that I've ntoiced that in the last 52 years.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I have been offered 735 and I've told the agent I'm happy to walk if they don't pay up - as that is what they are paying for my colleague doing the same job as me, through the same agency. My suspicion is that the Agent has been creaming off the difference.
    Good luck, it seems the agencies are really taking the pi55 now more than ever. A mate got offered a job on $500 a day and has just accepted it at $850 a day through a different agency. Disgusting the way they are acting IMO.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Private companies working on gravy-train public sector contracts. Kerrrrrching. Bottomless pits of money.

That's where I've earned silly wonga.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Well, those costs are not bad for working away. You could bring the hotel down: I see Hotel La Place at 56€/n and Premiere Classe in Galliard at 41€ if transport is OK. These are 2* and 1* respectively, but for me it's a place to sleep, not one of life's pleasures (that I can't afford).

It's not helpful I know, but your problem is a low rate for away work, not that your costs are extortionate. Would you expect to stay anywhere for less?
    I stayed at La Place this week - but I have to fly in on a Sunday night making 5 nights away and there is no public transport in that part of France late on a Sunday night. Usually the costs had been hitting about 60 a night (Ibis etc) But as I said, my 400 a day drops to 250 after the Swiss tax has taken its cut meaning that I'm working for very little. I've put in for a substantial rate increase for 656 (400gbp when the pound was low) to 855. I have been offered 735 and I've told the agent I'm happy to walk if they don't pay up - as that is what they are paying for my colleague doing the same job as me, through the same agency. My suspicion is that the Agent has been creaming off the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Public sector jobs have never paid much, no matter where in the country they are.
    From my experience, in the UK, during the last few years, until the crash, public sector was best paying after financial.

Edit: Contract positions that is, Permie salarys have been low though, but the benefits/pensions they get more than make up for it
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 26 June 2009, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I have to say, I completely dont agree with that.

In fact, you couldn't BE more wrong!
    I agree with SA, All the best paid roles I've had have been public sector or for private companies on public sector sites.

When quoting for work they double it and add a bit... it's only tax payer’s money.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I do stay in France in Annemasse - a little shanty town at the end of the tram tracks. It tends to cost me about 300 on accomodation and about 100 a week in flights - that works out at about 80 a day on expenses. So after tax I end up with about 170 a day - which is tulip. My 400 a day was set when the exchange rate was only 1.64 - it's now at 1.8 which is a killer
    Well, those costs are not bad for working away. You could bring the hotel down: I see Hotel La Place at 56€/n and Premiere Classe in Galliard at 41€ if transport is OK. These are 2* and 1* respectively, but for me it's a place to sleep, not one of life's pleasures (that I can't afford).

It's not helpful I know, but your problem is a low rate for away work, not that your costs are extortionate. Would you expect to stay anywhere for less?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
    These are the kinda rates you are looking at up north, for someone who is MCSE & ITIL certified!

http://www.jobserve.com/WBA1F06FC43513F15.jsjob

Looks like pretty good money for some wizard clicking monkey work, especially oop north...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I've worked in Geneva. If you treat it like a normal place then it can be expensive (One week when there was a UN conference on there, the cheapest online hotel booking I could find was 4400 EUR/day!). But you can keep costs down: how low do you keep them?

Are you away on your own, or with family? Flat or hotel? Thought of staying outside town, even in France?
    I do stay in France in Annemasse - a little shanty town at the end of the tram tracks. It tends to cost me about 300 on accomodation and about 100 a week in flights - that works out at about 80 a day on expenses. So after tax I end up with about 170 a day - which is sh1t. My 400 a day was set when the exchange rate was only 1.64 - it's now at 1.8 which is a killer

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Public sector jobs have never paid much, no matter where in the country they are.
    I have to say, I completely dont agree with that.

In fact, you couldn't BE more wrong!

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Mmmmmmmm, I smell a plan B for someone: a JS proxy for all those at sites that block said place and it's cohorts.
    YourFreedom

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    These are the kinda rates you are looking at up north, for someone who is MCSE & ITIL certified!

http://www.jobserve.com/WBA1F06FC43513F15.jsjob
    whilst i wholly agree, housing and general living is cheap as chips in the n/w so it wouldnt be that bad for a local job. although i doubt they would find a local in the n/w with that skillset

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    No - working in Geneva so my costs are extorionate. I've been losing about 1k a month doing this.
    I've worked in Geneva. If you treat it like a normal place then it can be expensive (One week when there was a UN conference on there, the cheapest online hotel booking I could find was 4400 EUR/day!). But you can keep costs down: how low do you keep them?

Are you away on your own, or with family? Flat or hotel? Thought of staying outside town, even in France?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    How much is it paying? JS is blocked here.
    Mmmmmmmm, I smell a plan B for someone: a JS proxy for all those at sites that block said place and it's cohorts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X