• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Swine Flu - Sickness Protection"

Collapse

• Envelope
    replied
    Thanks all....

I guess it's a cross your fingers situation then...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Envelope View Post
    Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, go easy on me.
    Envelope, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Originally posted by Envelope View Post
    I was wondering what people have in place by way of short-term sickness insurance. I’m aware of the critical insurance policies generally flogged around the market place, but are there firms out there that will insure you for a temporary period out of work, like less than a month.
    Reason for my concern is that someone at the client site has been sent home yesterday with swine flu. I figure, it’s only a matter of time…..
    I cannot see any insurance company touchhing that with a barge pole.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Without going to a laboratory of some kind, how do people tell the difference between swine flu and "a bit of a cold"? If I catch it and don't particularly feel any worse than I do after my usual night out on the ale then I don't suppose I'll take any time off anyway. Like all contractors, I've worked plenty of times in the past on days when I've been barely able to stand.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Obviously not, but if you think the probability of losing a week is X, you earn Y a week and insurance costs Z, use maths to decide whether to take insurance or not. Of course you have to figure out X and the number of weeks you need insurance before the risk has largely gone.
    How many clients would let a contractor back in the place when they had been off with swine flu?? None I suspect, so end of contract...

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you get swine flu you are either going:

1. To die
    2. Be back at work after one week.

If 1, then sickness protection is the least of your worries.

If 2, you lose a weeks pay. Not the end of the world is it?
    Obviously not, but if you think the probability of losing a week is X, you earn Y a week and insurance costs Z, use maths to decide whether to take insurance or not. Of course you have to figure out X and the number of weeks you need insurance before the risk has largely gone.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    You could try here: http://www.globalunderwriters.com/

They do all sorts of short term health cover.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I am pretty sure some contractors would get the bump if they tell the client that they have it and they are the first to have it in that company.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If you get swine flu you are either going:

1. To die
    2. Be back at work after one week.

If 1, then sickness protection is the least of your worries.

If 2, you lose a weeks pay. Not the end of the world is it?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There used be "day one" insurance that tailed off after a few months, by which time income protection insurance would kick in. Don't know if such a product is available anymore. In any case, it's rather expensive.

Best ask a financial adviser.

Leave a comment:

• Envelope
    started a topic Swine Flu - Sickness Protection

Swine Flu - Sickness Protection

Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, go easy on me.

I was wondering what people have in place by way of short-term sickness insurance. I’m aware of the critical insurance policies generally flogged around the market place, but are there firms out there that will insure you for a temporary period out of work, like less than a month.
    Reason for my concern is that someone at the client site has been sent home yesterday with swine flu. I figure, it’s only a matter of time…..

Working...
X