• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting paid to do nothing"

Collapse

• singhr
    replied
    I have served my time on the bench and know how it feels - I'm not complaining, just wondering how common the phenomenon is. In any case I may have spoken too soon - today I had to go to a meeting for one hour and tomorrow there is another one - things are picking up

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Could be worse - I'm doing lots and not getting paid for it

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Lots of benched contractors would rather get paid to do nothing than
    not paid to do nothing. Stop complaining and get down to do nothing.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Getting paid to do nothing is much better than not getting paid to do nothing which is my case from last November. Don't knock it.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    What I've also found is the higher the rate, the less work that's actually expected.
    WHS. It's more about what I know, rather than what I do.

When I've nowt to do, I go home. If anyone complains, I just ask them what they are waiting on me to deliver. They soon go away mumbling to themselves...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Bloque
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    Here I sit, one month into a three month contract getting paid to do nothing. PM is too busy to give me any work and I have given up asking. Anyone got any ideas to make time go faster? Anyone else working for large corporations surrounded by hundreds of busy people thinking there must be more to life than this?
    Just to amuse you..

Lunch Time Reading

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    What I've also found is the higher the rate, the less work that's actually expected.
    Oh how I wish that was true - I'm a PM and I've found that the higher the rate the more projects I'm given to run all at the same time!

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    ........ What I've also found is the higher the rate, the less work that's actually expected.
    The art of management..........

Got the top 3!

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    What I do is do nothing.....right up until the last minute. This way I put myself under some sort of pressure otherwise I'd have absolutely no interest in what I do at all. What I've also found is the higher the rate, the less work that's actually expected.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Some years ago, project was placed on hold while a new strategy was worked out. We played Quake 2 on the office network all afternoon for 4 weeks. About the 3rd day in a bunch of other peeps joined in from elsewhere in the building. We never did know who they were.

Happy times!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I agree with that. At the moment I have a drawer full of documents ready for sign off. But I am waiting to hear if my contract is being extended for the next project phase of not. The documents are staying exactly where they are until they're asked for and I'm whiling away my days looking awfully busy. In the present market, it's self preservation. In better times, I'd have got the doc's signed off early and moved on before the end of the gig.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Boreout strategies include:

Stretch your work strategy: This involves drawing out tasks so they take much longer than necessary. For example, if an employee's sole assignment during a work week is a report that takes three work days, the employee will "stretch" this three days of work over the entire work week. Stretching strategies vary from employee to employee. Some employees may do the entire report in the first three days, and then spend the remaining days surfing the Internet, planning their holiday, browsing online shopping websites, sending personal e-mails, and so on (all the while ensuring that their workstation is filled with the evidence of "hard work", by having work documents ready to be switched-to on the screen). Alternatively, some employees may "stretch" the work over the entire work week by breaking up the process with a number of pauses to send personal e-mails, go outside for a cigarette, get a coffee, chat with friends in other parts of the company, or even go to the washroom for a 10 minute nap.

Actaully looking at this the bold bit is eaxactly what they should do - management however then should accept there is nothing more for them to do an 'allow' the surfing shopping etc - what this means is then you have an employee ready in case any last minute work is needed.

I personally hate those muppets who put everything off, drag it out etc and then get caught with a last minute request (which they obviously complain they cannot do because they are to busy having spent the previous 2 days surfing the web)

But then not everbody will agree with me.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I my first cotract I got about 2 weeks work in a 9 month gig and used to go for a kip in the First Aid room after the daily pub lunch and hour walk around the park.

Finished my J2EE architect cert and some self training but you do eventually go nuts with the boredom.

I begged to get out the contract in the end which looking back was a bit insane.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Doesn't it eat into company profits though?
    Yes, but if the food and drink's tax deductible, do you care?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I go to the pub at lunch time. That usually reduces my productivity quite naturally, and makes me feel quite unconcerned about it.
    Doesn't it eat into company profits though?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X