• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Super Killer Application"

Collapse

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Well, there's always stacking shelves at your local Sainsbury's for £8.15/hr to see you over Christmas. At 8 hrs/day, 7 days/week for 3 months that's nearly £6k.
    £8.15 p/h???? Bloody hell, that's more than some of the contracting rates I had when I started

Jesus, my life has gone seriously wrong. I blame my parents for spawning an idiot child. Damn my inferior genes!

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Bovvered: why you think GUI (of the client presumably) needs makeover?
    AtW; have sent you a private mail on this one...happy to discuss!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Well, there's always stacking shelves at your local Sainsbury's for £8.15/hr to see you over Christmas. At 8 hrs/day, 7 days/week for 3 months that's nearly £6k.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    WS, does Mrs WS work or does she just spend? Resist all pressure to "get a proper job".
    Mrs WS works. Mrs WS likes the idea of the money that (potentially) comes with contracting but really can't handle the insecurity.
    Mrs WS would like me to take a secure job paying £25,000 - only to then complain that I earn peanuts

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    Cheers, BB.
    My area is public sector <spits>. The market seems pretty active at the moment; lots of calls from pimps, but obviously that won't last for long as Christmas is approaching. UKPS are recruiting contractors like crazy, although they are having trouble filling certain positions (like a strategic BA).

A break is great, but it's not so great when you're sweating on the finances and have a wife going ballistic at the prospect
    WS, does Mrs WS work or does she just spend? Resist all pressure to "get a proper job".

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    ..well good luck WageSlave, what's the market like?

What's your area,

know the feeling...I was 4 months out, but afterwards realised it was a great time.
    Cheers, BB.
    My area is public sector <spits>. The market seems pretty active at the moment; lots of calls from pimps, but obviously that won't last for long as Christmas is approaching. UKPS are recruiting contractors like crazy, although they are having trouble filling certain positions (like a strategic BA).

A break is great, but it's not so great when you're sweating on the finances and have a wife going ballistic at the prospect

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I'm about to hit the bench again

What's your area,

know the feeling...I was 4 months out, but afterwards realised it was a great time.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    A short time (2 weeks) I put into contracting generated 30% of what I need to break even.
    Bloody hell. Well, I'm impressed

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I'm about to hit the bench again

What's your area,

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Just how much did you make from contracting to support yourself all this time???
    A short time (2 weeks) I put into contracting generated 30% of what I need to break even. I will focus on money in Q1 2006 - for now I am glad I was prudent in the last few years so that even after a year of "not having proper" job my financial position is very good.

The key is low-cost, not very high rate. I expect to make up the lost profits from not working before end of 2006 and generate more than I could have earned in subsequent years.
    Last edited by AtW; 26 October 2005, 14:26.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    No, not suggesting anything. I was simply wondering how he did it. I could understand if he was in his 30s or 40s and took a year out for a personal project. But he is still in his 20s and can't have been working for that long. To be able to take time off comfortably (i.e. not sweating on it), he must have charged clients a pretty hefty rate.
    I'm about to hit the bench again and the thought that I might fall foul of the Christmas slump and not having anything until Feb is making me sh1t bricks (that's just a few months!).

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    AtW, a question. You're a young guy and you've been working full-time on your project for quite a while now. Just how much did you make from contracting to support yourself all this time???
    He doesn't make all those extra activities for 5 and 25 quid as you do.

Are you suggesting him that?

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    AtW, a question. You're a young guy and you've been working full-time on your project for quite a while now. Just how much did you make from contracting to support yourself all this time???

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan
    I am loyally sending you my second barrel of nicely processed URLS and I cannot access the interface to your search engine.
    Thanks sunny - search engine uses port 8888, it is likely that your firewall is not letting you through as some places restrict ports. This is why I had to allocate more important port 80 to the server and the search engine itself another port.

There have not been much news because I was too busy even post here much -- as you can see on my site numbers of people interested in the project grown significantly and number of URLs crawled is very very high. My primary competitor closed down few weeks ago and I had an influx of people to my project, so from this point of view things go very very well - I have the leading project of its kind in the world now.

I should get new search engine index done in less than 2 weeks and hope to index 1 bln URLs before end of the year. This will make me certainly the biggest UK search engine and probably Top 10 world search engines.

When will the money come? Unlike you I am very patience and set correct priorities - dev of search engine is needed before I can focus on other things, and if you have any clue about SEO you should realise that I will have database that will allow me to become _the_ expert in SEO - and this worth good money.

Bovvered: why you think GUI (of the client presumably) needs makeover?

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Ska

ATW

I am loyally sending you my second barrel of nicely processed URLS and I cannot access the interface to your search engine.

Is it broken?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X