• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My client would like your CV in a certain format...."

Collapse

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Jesus - trying to get a gig through TWO bloody agencies? Must be worse than polygamy.

What's in it for the first agency?
    I did a gig with this scenario.......
    Pimp 1 - Big Pimp, big offices etc etc - Advert at piss poor rate.......
    Pimp 2 (Smaller, neater, nicer????) - Advert (slightly reworded) at better rate......

I responded to Pimp 2 Jobserve.... got the gig..... Pimp 2 sent me Contract which was with Pimp 1 (beaause they are a prefered supplier and Client insists all "contracts" through them)....

So - Pimp 2 got thier cut..... Pimp 1 got (presumably) a lesser cut than they would have if they had offered a better rate up front...... but (ATEOTD) I got the best Rate..........

It was quite funny because a few days after (each of several) renewals/extensions Pimp 2 would contact me all "sweetness and light - just checking things are OK blah blah" ie Just checking if I got an extension because they (still) wanted thier cut and (obviously) didn't trust thier esteemed collegues at Pimp 1 to actually tell them I had renewed (and keep paying).....

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by ddilling View Post
    I called the agent and asked...wtf?

Apparently the job is through ANOTHER agency, and it is them who is asking for it. So its a little more understandable how the agency I contacted is less than keen to do the paperwork for other ageny, they are just passing the buck so to speak.

Now to see if I can get my wife to do it....
    Jesus - trying to get a gig through TWO bloody agencies? Must be worse than polygamy.

What's in it for the first agency?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Of course they do that. You are working for them, not the other way round. So they are not presenting your CV, they are presenting their CV for one of their bods.
    runners

I believe this is the term for a live contractor from an agents perspective.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    I do wonder, occasionally, WTF it is that agencies do for their money.

In my industry-work when I was getting my professionals, I did a placement at a recruitment company where they copied the CV submitted into their standard format before sending it off.

That'd seem to be the last they could do but nowadays if I go to an interview the only things that they seem to have done are chopped off my name and address bits.
    Of course they do that. You are working for them, not the other way round. So they are not presenting your CV, they are presenting their CV for one of their bods.

Leave a comment:

• ddilling
    replied
    I called the agent and asked...wtf?

Apparently the job is through ANOTHER agency, and it is them who is asking for it. So its a little more understandable how the agency I contacted is less than keen to do the paperwork for other ageny, they are just passing the buck so to speak.

Now to see if I can get my wife to do it....

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I saw that once. They'd used a guillotine on my version and photocopied the result.
    Yep. Fothermuckers.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    That'd seem to be the last they could do but nowadays if I go to an interview the only things that they seem to have done are chopped off my name and address bits.
    I saw that once. They'd used a guillotine on my version and photocopied the result.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    There is one agency who is always asking for updates but they want it in something called XML format. I was thinking of doing it in Waterloo Script instead

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Does this "specific format" have a section for "references"?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Ffs

I do wonder, occasionally, WTF it is that agencies do for their money.

In my industry-work when I was getting my professionals, I did a placement at a recruitment company where they copied the CV submitted into their standard format before sending it off.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Thanks, but my CV is in Word format - its a more specific request of them sending me a very specific template with fields for example, project, dates, technologies used, etc.... and telling me to fill it out.

Strikes me as them being too lazy or apathetic to do it themselves as I've never been asked to do something like this before...
    Tell them that you are too lazy to do it and if they can't be bothered, that you will go to another agency and apply for the role through them.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Precisely. Lazy effers. Ask them why they aren't doing this themselves!
    Would you really trust an agent to fill out a form with the information on your CV?

My first name would end up as "22/12/1952"

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Mary Poppins wrote : Precisely. Lazy effers. Ask them why they aren't doing this themselves!
    Because its Wayne's first job out of Uni, and he did Media Studies on a Mac. He doesn't know how to use Word or a PC.

Be nice to the poor lad.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Responded to an advert, and the agency has said that the client requires my CV in a certain format.

Wouldn't normally think about doing this generally, however, in this case it is for a specific position/client.

Anyone else been bothered to do something like this? Seems like formatting/reformatting should be the agents job at least....

That's NATO for you...

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Sounds like they want you to fill in an entry in their candidate database for them so they can sit staring out the window instead. Is the role real?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X