• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: unbelievable !

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "unbelievable !"

Collapse

• Epiphone
    replied
    Why the feck do you think the taxpayer should prop up your savings?

If you have over 16k salted away use it to pay your bills mad

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    There was a revolution?

I thought that Magna Carta was where a bunch of nobs got together to persuade a weak king that they would be subject to a rule of law and not the whim of the King? It never applied to ordinary people.

I haven't actually read it myself. I have seen one of the copies though if that helps at all.
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yes.

That nice Oliver Cromwell chappie had a bit to do with it.

He summarily dispensed with the King...

And then made himself Lord Protector.

No, that was much later. The Magna Carter was in the 1200's I think. Basically the barons or England were fed up with King John being a twat and forced him to accept that he was as bound by the law as they were and that all subjects should have certain basic rights under that law. In practice what they meant by all subject was them, the rulling classes, but it set the precedent and led directly to Habeous Corpus - the right to appeal against unlawfull inprisonment.

In practice it meant very little to anyone but the king and the barons who signed it, it had no impact on the general populous.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    This country needs a revolution of the likes that brought us Magna Carta etc.
    There was a revolution?

I thought that Magna Carta was where a bunch of nobs got together to persuade a weak king that they would be subject to a rule of law and not the whim of the King? It never applied to ordinary people.

I haven't actually read it myself. I have seen one of the copies though if that helps at all.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 28 May 2009, 03:16. Reason: Bit more to add.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by isthatright View Post
    Then after 6 months the contribution based JSA stops and I then have to claim JSA on an income basis. I can claim but will not get it as I have savings over £16,000. So all I get is 26x64 = £1,664 over the first 6 months then nothing until my savings drop below £16,000. Thanks HM goverment.
    So, are you planning to be out of work and claiming benefits for the next six months?

Bloody scroungers.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It is why England has characters in its mythology such as King Arthur and Robin Hood.

er.. you are losing it HAB. Arthur and Bob are legends , not myths and they were pretty conservative too.

The country certainly needs change in the way it is governed, but I think revolution would be a nasty option

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    It is why England has characters in its mythology such as King Arthur and Robin Hood.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Not finished; just forgotten it's way for a while.
    wow. I like that. I'm gonna use that

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by uky kozak View Post
    By the way I have got my local MP involved now so should be interesting to see what comes out this week.

Don't get your hopes up.

I went through all this last time. That is why I am so hard now. I see no point in paying 'protection' to these evil gangsters when there is no help when you need it.

It won't be any better under the Conservatives; in some cases it will be worse.

Leave a comment:

• uky kozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Huh? Benefits can be claimed by anyone who needs them. If you've got 50k in the bank, you don't need them. Can you imagine what the tax bill would be like if the "hard-working, self-sufficient man or woman" had to support everybody who was out of work, regardless of bank balance? We would be paying out for all those MPs who have quit for a start.

No mate - if you have a bank full of money, use it. If you are hard up - then the state will help. I can assure you I'm no lefty either.
    Absolutely Bul**Shyte coming outta yu and i can smell it from over here. Yes if you have 6000 + in the bank then no, you can't claim, also if you have 0 in the pot, you "still" can't claim. How do we know? Cos we, myself included, are going through this right now so if you are not experiencing this first hand don't assume you know about the benefit system.

By the way I have got my local MP involved now so should be interesting to see what comes out this week. Note to those there is a new form that has to be filled in and they are requesting profit/loss accounts, business expenditure ie motoring costs, insurance, stationary etc. They are also asking you to list assets of the company co's I think they add up the value as part of your allowance but I have yet to find out exactly what they want this info for. (Maybe you have to sell those off first )

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Yeah, our lords and masters set such a shining example, don't they?

They sit in splendor, in a faded palace, in a broken capital of a finished country.

God rot them all.
    Not finished; just forgotten it's way for a while.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Yeah, our lords and masters set such a shining example, don't they?

They sit in splendor, in a faded palace, in a broken capital of a finished country.

God rot them all.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Hmm. Smart cookie.

How one does a 'cash-in-hand' contract is beyond me, but good for you if you managed it.

I think your approach is largely correct: sod the rules! It's every man for himself now.
    MPs have shown that tax legislation is merely there to be circumvented.

Morals and honesty will get you nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Hmm. Smart cookie.

How one does a 'cash-in-hand' contract is beyond me, but good for you if you managed it.

I think your approach is largely correct: sod the rules! It's every man for himself now.

I was honest on my self-assessment form! At least I think so. Work came via through a solicitor friend and the client paid me cash, well cheques. Bit of an unusual contract though, involving solving just about every NP-complete problem out there (real world, non-IT literate client who just had to press buttons in the end), but useless on a CV.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Wish it were the case.

Maybe because of my unusual methods. During bench times I'm apt to go and take on any menial work (postman last time) and I didn't use a Ltd for my last contract, which was cash in hand and involved my declaring income and paying tax via self-assessment. I ignored employment regs and all the other nonsense, couldn't be arsed with it. I just gave the dole office my P45 from the post-office job and showed them I'd been remortgaging to stay afloat. They didn't question anything.
    Hmm. Smart cookie.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    You on the Rock 'n' Roll TW?
    Wish it were the case.

How does that work? I thought if you were self-employed or a company director, and had assets (i.e. a flat), then the DSS would just tell you to sod off and sell the flat.
    Maybe because of my unusual methods. During bench times I'm apt to go and take on any menial work (postman last time) and I didn't use a Ltd for my last contract, which was cash in hand and involved my declaring income and paying tax via self-assessment. I ignored employment regs and all the other nonsense, couldn't be arsed with it. I just gave the dole office my P45 from the post-office job and showed them I'd been remortgaging to stay afloat. They didn't question anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X