• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unbelievable !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is why England has characters in its mythology such as King Arthur and Robin Hood.

This country needs a revolution of the likes that brought us Magna Carta etc.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      It is why England has characters in its mythology such as King Arthur and Robin Hood.

er.. you are losing it HAB. Arthur and Bob are legends , not myths and they were pretty conservative too.

The country certainly needs change in the way it is governed, but I think revolution would be a nasty option

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by isthatright View Post
        Then after 6 months the contribution based JSA stops and I then have to claim JSA on an income basis. I can claim but will not get it as I have savings over £16,000. So all I get is 26x64 = £1,664 over the first 6 months then nothing until my savings drop below £16,000. Thanks HM goverment.
        So, are you planning to be out of work and claiming benefits for the next six months?

Bloody scroungers.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          There was a revolution?

I thought that Magna Carta was where a bunch of nobs got together to persuade a weak king that they would be subject to a rule of law and not the whim of the King? It never applied to ordinary people.

I haven't actually read it myself. I have seen one of the copies though if that helps at all.
          Last edited by Gonzo; 28 May 2009, 03:16. Reason: Bit more to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            There was a revolution?

I thought that Magna Carta was where a bunch of nobs got together to persuade a weak king that they would be subject to a rule of law and not the whim of the King? It never applied to ordinary people.

I haven't actually read it myself. I have seen one of the copies though if that helps at all.
            Originally posted by zeitghost
            Yes.

That nice Oliver Cromwell chappie had a bit to do with it.

He summarily dispensed with the King...

And then made himself Lord Protector.

No, that was much later. The Magna Carter was in the 1200's I think. Basically the barons or England were fed up with King John being a twat and forced him to accept that he was as bound by the law as they were and that all subjects should have certain basic rights under that law. In practice what they meant by all subject was them, the rulling classes, but it set the precedent and led directly to Habeous Corpus - the right to appeal against unlawfull inprisonment.

In practice it meant very little to anyone but the king and the barons who signed it, it had no impact on the general populous.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why the feck do you think the taxpayer should prop up your savings?

If you have over 16k salted away use it to pay your bills mad

Comment

Working...
              X