• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Scum

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scum"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Wouldn't "listening for miaows" still be a form of observation, albeit an aural one, and therefore subject to changing the outcome of the experiment ?
    Erm, good question. Yes, because only if the box isn't soundproofed can you hear the cat miaowing. Of course, cats have much better hearing than humans, so the cat would know that you're nearby just by hearing the slightest rub of your clothing, even if you stand very still. If the box isn't pongproofed then he'll smell you too. That means your presence close to the box might well affect the cat's behaviour.

If, however, the box is soundproof and pongproof as well as not being translucent, there's no way of knowing whether the cat is alive, so you can't really affect the experiment but also can't observe.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Wouldn't "listening for miaows" still be a form of observation, albeit an aural one, and therefore subject to changing the outcome of the experiment ?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No, you'll ruin it for everyone!
    What about if we just kick the box a couple of times and listen for miaows ...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    I'll open the lid and have a look...
    No, you'll ruin it for everyone!

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Whatever happened to Schrödinger´s cat? Did it get out alive?
    I'll open the lid and have a look...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I can see where you are coming from, but where are you going with this?

Well you can´t know where I´m going if you know where I´m coming from according to Heisenberg, so you have to start by forgetting where I´m coming from and then you can figure out where I´m going.

Something like that.

Whatever happened to Schrödinger´s cat? Did it get out alive?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    In quantum ecclesiastics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of spiritual properties, like use of contraception and momentum toward the sanctuary, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. That is, the more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known. It is impossible to measure simultaneously both birth control and velocity of confession with any degree of accuracy or certainty.
    I can see where you are coming from, but where are you going with this?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Can you quantify that?
    In quantum ecclesiastics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of spiritual properties, like use of contraception and momentum toward the sanctuary, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. That is, the more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known. It is impossible to measure simultaneously both birth control and velocity of confession with any degree of accuracy or certainty.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    If we had a rational science-based society people would beat each other to death over the interpretation of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
    Can you quantify that?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    If we had a rational science-based society people would beat each other to death over the interpretation of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
    Are you certain?

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Parents telling their children "we are protestants" you mean. Again, the terms are still used as meaningless labels, whether for themselves or the people on the other 'side'. I doubt many self-described protestants know what defines protestantism. Or even know the basics of Christianity in general in most cases.
    Well the people who killed that bloke obviously don't care but see it as a useful vehicle for their tribalism.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I think it's safe to say these people don't understand religion and use it simply as a banner to justify their hatred. If it wasn't a football game it'd be something else.

Yes, they are scum.
    Hear Hear.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes, but parentage seems to be a very popular criteria for deciding which doctrine is 'most correct'.
    Parents telling their children "we are protestants" you mean. Again, the terms are still used as meaningless labels, whether for themselves or the people on the other 'side'. I doubt many self-described protestants know what defines protestantism. Or even know the basics of Christianity in general in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I think it's safe to say these people don't understand religion and use it simply as a banner to justify their hatred. If it wasn't a football game it'd be something else.

Yes, they are scum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X