• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: North Korea

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "North Korea"

Collapse

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Do you really think China wants to spike its main export market?
    And do you think China wants to run the risk of destabilising a neighbour that couild potentially flood it with refugees.
    You nicked my earlier point:
    "I think that's a bit dated, China's main concern being that if/when the regime collapses they will be innundated with millions of refugees."

For which I am apparently "...a fat soft priviliged idiot..."

So you abuse me then nick my ideas. Truly you are an agent.
    Last edited by ace00; 27 May 2009, 12:56. Reason: wrong quote

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    apologies to any Philippino pimps who may get offended by this mental association that I have in my head.
    S'ok, no offence taken.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Its all the fault of the West....

...talk about short memories and all.

I seem to remember that after the war over there, the West and the Soviets agreed to carve up the Korean Peninsula on arbitrary lines and each be a custodian of one part.

The south got to partner with the West and is today a reasonably affluent democracy.
    The north drew the short straw and got the 'backing' of the Soviets and all who basically left them hanging like a colostomy bag in the wind- a bit like Lord of the Flies but with adult actors instead of kids.

I have the feeling that things started to go bad around about this time in the regions history and therefore can conclude that leaders at the time screwed things up for later generations and we are paying the price now.

BTW - Saw the new NK dictator in waiting on TV last night and he looks like a Philippino pimp to me (apologies to any Philippino pimps who may get offended by this mental association that I have in my head).

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    And do you think China wants to run the risk of destabilising a neighbour that couild potentially flood it with refugees
    Chinas export markets:
    • Asia $521 billion
    • North America $264 billion
    • Europe $264 billion
    • Russia $48 billion
    • Middle East $44 billion
    • South America $39 billion

flipping the argument - if China was so keen to preserve the status quo & given the history of the Korean war, why would it not be doing everything in its power to stop its errant neighbour from making such provocative moves ?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    or China is behind all of this:

China is about to fight a war by proxy to get the USA embroiled in another regional conflict - can the US fight on 3 fronts ?

or

Test the new USA President - & gauge a likely response to a grab for Taiwan

or

a technologically backward nation can make leaps in building nuclear devices on its own, and everything is down to the nutty dictator at the helm
    Not the brightest Troll under the bridge, are you?
    Stick to looking for a new job.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post

China is about to fight a war by proxy to get the USA embroiled in another regional conflict - can the US fight on 3 fronts ?

or

or

a technologically backward nation can make leaps in building nuclear devices on its own, and everything is down to the nutty dictator at the helm
    And do you think China wants to run the risk of destabilising a neighbour that couild potentially flood it with refugees

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    They have either run out of money, food and oil and need to blackmail everyone lese, or the dictator is on his last legs and whoever will takeover is showing his strength.

or

or

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Methods of torture and other abuse reportedly included ... prolonged periods of exposure to the elements; ... confinement ...in small "punishment cells" in which prisoners were unable to stand upright or lie down; being forced to kneel or sit immobilized for long periods; being hung by the wrists; ...
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I'm so glad I don't have to commute into central London every day.
    Yes, it does sound like the tube, on second reading.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    They have either run out of money, food and oil and need to blackmail everyone lese, or the dictator is on his last legs and whoever will takeover is showing his strength.
    Maybe Kim's got the later stages of syphilis and he's suffering delusions of grandeur. All through history wars slaughters of innocents have been started by syphilitic old men.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Methods of torture and other abuse reportedly included severe beatings; electric shock; prolonged periods of exposure to the elements; humiliations such as public nakedness; confinement for up to several weeks in small "punishment cells" in which prisoners were unable to stand upright or lie down; being forced to kneel or sit immobilized for long periods; being hung by the wrists; being forced to stand up and sit down to the point of collapse; and forcing mothers recently repatriated from China to watch the infanticide of their newborn infants. Defectors continued to report that many prisoners died from torture, disease, starvation, exposure to the elements, or a combination of these causes.
    I'm so glad I don't have to commute into central London every day.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    They started it...

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were demonstrations for Uncle Joe...
    I hear this one trotted out every now and then, and it makes me wonder - what do you think the japanese would have done if they had had the bomb first?

I've no doubts personally ...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The difference is that of combatants and non-combatants. The so-called "Rules of War".
    <cough>

didnt we bomb their cities flat ?

what about Hiroshima and Nagasaki ?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    So answer me this. If it is OK for the allies to kill Germans in WW2 why is it not OK for Germans to kill Jews and everyone else that they killed in WW2?
    The difference is that of combatants and non-combatants. The so-called "Rules of War".

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    I don't know what's got you all riled up today...and I also don't get what point you're trying to make, I really don't. Are you drunk?

hic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X