• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Breakdowns; heavy, man"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Plan B: ContractorBreakdowns.co.uk, now I am starting to understand why there is so much venom on here and cyber warriorship. It's a post breakdown punch bag!

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Having experienced it, I can say that suddenly having the rug pulled from under you health-wise puts all the insignificant things like money and possessions into proportion very quickly, and gets you wondering why the heck you worried about the silly things in life. Health and family is what counts IMHO ....everything else is just things.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    eh 'ed da ball! Dey do do day doh dont de? soft la <random phlegm sound>
    that was dead good that. are you, er, 'one of us' ?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    As I thought. This site is full of nutters. Now where is my valium?
    I'm a nutter and proud of it.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    eh 'ed da ball! Dey do do day doh dont de? soft la <random phlegm sound>

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Unlike most of the posters here, I do come from the third world. The poverty, violence, poor education and housing are horrific. But I can assure you that Liverpool does have more than it's fair share of nutters

Is that where they cut your hands off as a punishment for shoplifting?
    I know because I saw a supermarket full of them with their shopping baskets held in their teeth

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Unlike most of the posters here, I do come from the third world. The poverty, violence, poor education and housing are horrific. But I can assure you that Liverpool does have more than it's fair share of nutters

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
    "Personally I think that recovering from my breakdown made me a stronger and more stable person, better in touch with what I want out of life, and better able to help others achieve what they want. In that sense, a breakdown might actually afford some kind of immunity to mental or psychological illness just as childhood measles gives you immunity. Perhaps I sometimes appear harsh and unsympathetic, but actually it’s just hard experience. Anyone recognize this?"

Im guessing not all breakdowns are the same and different people would be affected very differently. Personally i've worked closely with two people who have had breakdowns, both involving hospitalisation for a period of time.

Neither really recovered in the sense that (thinks for the right words) their personality was totally changed afterwards, before both had been friendly, smart, hardworking nice people. After it was like a light had gone out? (guessing that could be the anti-depressents) hiding away, not talking to anyone.

In fact neither seemed to go back to their fomer personality, it was almost like they'd been replaced with different characters - one had to give up his job altogether in the end and eventually moved into a different field.

That was my perception as a colleague, incredibly serious stuff isnt it.
    That's not my experience.
    Starting with myself, I became much more outgoing and enthusiastic as a result of taking antidepressants. They work.
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 20 May 2009, 18:50.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Milder burnout symptoms are probably far more common than a mental breakdown?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    As I thought. This worldis full of nutters. Now where is my valium?

Leave a comment:

• grey_lady
    replied
    "Personally I think that recovering from my breakdown made me a stronger and more stable person, better in touch with what I want out of life, and better able to help others achieve what they want. In that sense, a breakdown might actually afford some kind of immunity to mental or psychological illness just as childhood measles gives you immunity. Perhaps I sometimes appear harsh and unsympathetic, but actually it’s just hard experience. Anyone recognize this?"

Im guessing not all breakdowns are the same and different people would be affected very differently. Personally i've worked closely with two people who have had breakdowns, both involving hospitalisation for a period of time.

Neither really recovered in the sense that (thinks for the right words) their personality was totally changed afterwards, before both had been friendly, smart, hardworking nice people. After it was like a light had gone out? (guessing that could be the anti-depressents) hiding away, not talking to anyone.

In fact neither seemed to go back to their fomer personality, it was almost like they'd been replaced with different characters - one had to give up his job altogether in the end and eventually moved into a different field.

That was my perception as a colleague, incredibly serious stuff isnt it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ... I would imagine that there are very few cases of breakdowns or mental illness in parts of the world where people are just simply doing what they can to stay alive.
    There's a massive amount of mental illness in areas of poverty. They just don't get any treatment, and so they die/get put away/chained to a stake in the ground or, in certain cultures, are considered holy.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    There but for the grace of god.

WHS - those who don't know history, one of the few things that keeps me sane.Thin line between genius and the other side. I keep trying to get to genius.

IMHO there are people who have a chemical imbalance, just like those born full of Oestrogen (who change their names from Dave to Davina) there are people who find it too much sometimes. In more primitive cultures they become cannon fodder, heroes or star crossed lovers, in our enlightened society they have "mental health issues". (most of the greats would be sectioned now.)

Imagine someone saying I'll invade a country with a few elephants, I will conquer the world (but not syphillis) with a few bows & arrows or I'm bored of my wives I'll shorten them by a foot or disown the church so I can get a bit of the other. They'd be headed for the rubber room nowadays. Makes the crud at work seem minor doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• horza
    replied
    What the Third World have is the same thing anyone has after close, personal contact with death.

Perspective.

It doesn't bloody help much in the grand scheme of things, but it stops you sweating the small stuff. Personally I take an interest in history, and every time a spot of ridiculous over-wrought crap takes over the headlines and people's sanity I remind myself that our forebears fought and died for the opportunity for us to waste our lives of (comparative) luxury on soap operas and wobbly bits. I imagine they'd be sorely disappointed with what we've done with the freedom from disease and starvation they've provided, but they wouldn't take it back.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    However, look at the amount of substance abuse in the third world and you'll see that people there have their unhealthy escape routes too.
    Fair point

Leave a comment:

Working...
X