• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job of the Day (or rather 2 days)"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Look at the vast list of skills required for this 2-day Linux contract
    I know agents don't read CVs but do they even bother to read their own ads for made up jobs?

Oh no - silly me, they just C+P from somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    How about this then

Senior Project Manager X6 Contract

Project Manager x 6 Manchester - £170 per day

My Manchester based Client is currently looking for several Project Managers to hold responsibility for the successful delivery of all work elements, ensuring compliance with the project management methodology and ensuring that the project is delivered on time, to budget and of the right quality.

The successful candidate will have extensive experience applying Project Management principles in challenging, high-risk environments and working to Prince 2 or similar methodologies. You will also have a track record of both managing budgets and the procurement of resources to a project as well as experience in creating and leading a multi-disciplinary project team.

Candidates are advised that the rate for this role is none negotiable. Please apply immediately for further information and a full job spec.

Location Manchester, Lancashire
    Country England
    Start Date ASAP
    Rate £170/Day
    Employment Business Hays IT
    Contact Verity-Jane Heaton
    Telephone 01625 532444
    Fax 07092 858 304
    Email [email protected]
    Reference JS00525652
    Posted Date 18/05/2009 12:32:07

experience in creating and leading a multi-disciplinary project team who will all be earning far more than you
    I've seen that role posted by multiple agents for the better part of a week (I may even have pasted it from another agent in another thread here), I've also had 3 calls about it from agents keen to get me to apply, you can imagine my response.

£170 a day is a farce of a rate even for a techy let alone a professional PM, it's low £30's k salary when you take NI (employers and employees), bank holidays etc, etc, etc into account and under 30k if any amount of travel is needed for the commute. I'd have to be incredibly desperate to consider a role at that rate.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Outside of IR35, as a perm role, £170 a day works out at approx £38K a year, which doesn't sound too shabby for a PM role surely ?
    There are a few problems with what you have done.

1 - 38k may not be too shabby for a perm PM role, but this isn't perm. It's a contract and as such there will be fallow periods in the contractors working year.

2 - in the perm world the employee can expect other fringe benefits which the low day rate will not provide

3 - in the role it looks like they want the PM to recruit a team. I'd say that this makes the PM the top earner. To me this stinks of the sort of role which gets posted to test the bottom end of the market or worse still as an excuse to bring people in on a FTV visa. Afterall they advertised the role at a not too shabby rate and got no bites.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I keep seeing a 2 day contract where they want someone to update some HP servers over a weekend, it says "must be SC cleared and available this weekend".

It's been popping up every week now for the past month.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    You know what they say..2 days is a long time in Linux

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

Candidates are advised that the rate for this role is none negotiable. Please apply immediately for further information and a full job spec.
    What does that mean? When I see a posting with a basic error such as that then I think to myself that it really is not worth applying. Not only is the wording wrong but everything is negotiable, maybe I want to earn less

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Outside of IR35, as a perm role, £170 a day works out at approx £38K a year, which doesn't sound too shabby for a PM role surely ?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Looking at the rates for programmers...not sure, but you'll be earning less than the some of the cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    How about this then

Senior Project Manager X6 Contract

Project Manager x 6 Manchester - £170 per day

My Manchester based Client is currently looking for several Project Managers to hold responsibility for the successful delivery of all work elements, ensuring compliance with the project management methodology and ensuring that the project is delivered on time, to budget and of the right quality.

The successful candidate will have extensive experience applying Project Management principles in challenging, high-risk environments and working to Prince 2 or similar methodologies. You will also have a track record of both managing budgets and the procurement of resources to a project as well as experience in creating and leading a multi-disciplinary project team.

Location Manchester, Lancashire
    Country England
    Start Date ASAP
    Rate £170/Day
    Employment Business Hays IT
    Contact Verity-Jane Heaton
    Telephone 01625 532444
    Fax 07092 858 304
    Email [email protected]
    Reference JS00525652
    Posted Date 18/05/2009 12:32:07

experience in creating and leading a multi-disciplinary project team who will all be earning far more than you

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Heh, got a lot of those skills (but not all of them). 2 day role hey? Why don't they just advertise for a mysql dba with apache on Linux experience, to administer the system over 2 days. It's not as if 2 weeks would be enough for this :-
    Ability to gather requirements, design and implement appropriate solutions Strong process oriented experience in terms of implementation and completion

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Going from past experience, I doubt that you'd even have working accounts and a PC or desk before the end of day one.
    Or indeed sufficient time to fill in the clientco timesheet.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Going from past experience, I doubt that you'd even have working accounts and a PC or desk before the end of day one.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Plenty cheapness

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    ... and to mentor ....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Job of the Day (or rather 2 days)

Job of the Day (or rather 2 days)

Working...
X