• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The catholic church"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The crucifixion provides a way to have your sins taken away, for those who ask. It didn't suddenly render everyone on the planet sinless and good. As you may have noticed...
    Poorly designed and implemented solution from the Holy Trinity then. Project milestone completely missed, final deliverables will suffer.

Very poor Project Management, seek an alternative.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Sort of silly to stick your only boy up on the cross to take all those sins away and then not take them away..
    The crucifixion provides a way to have your sins taken away, for those who ask. It didn't suddenly render everyone on the planet sinless and good. As you may have noticed...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Sort of silly to stick your only boy up on the cross to take all those sins away and then not take them away. Maybe JC had trashed heaven with a party when God was away for the weekend?
    Crucifiction seems a bit harsh for an out of hand party. Unless it was my house that is....

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Dunno. Notwithstanding my earlier comment, I don't know much about Catholic doctrine.
    Sort of silly to stick your only boy up on the cross to take all those sins away and then not take them away. Maybe JC had trashed heaven with a party when God was away for the weekend?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I've heard that explained as - all religions teach how to make yourself good enough for God. Christianity says you can't do it - but God can, and, apparently, is willing to.
    Spot on.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I thought that the whole point of being baptised was for the for the remission of sins. Then you only have to goto confession if you've done something wrong?
    Dunno. Notwithstanding my earlier comment, I don't know much about Catholic doctrine.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Also interesting that you should quote the Christian New Testament, for (the vast minority of) Christians believe in salvation by grace, not by works (or mans' efforts) alone. This aspect of Christianity makes it entirely unique. Note that many 'religions' masquerade as Christianity.
    I've heard that explained as - all religions teach how to make yourself good enough for God. Christianity says you can't do it - but God can, and, apparently, is willing to.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Such as?
    Catholicism, for example?

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    But catholics are supposed to regulalrly go to confession and get absolved - so I'd have thought that meant that the church considers humans to be evil.

Any catholics care to comment?
    I thought that the whole point of being baptised was for the for the remission of sins. Then you only have to goto confession if you've done something wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Well, 99.9%* of 'Christian' churches, for a kick-off.

The point being, IMO, the vast majority of organised 'religion' is either:
    1. A form of social control
    2. A way to raise lots and lots of cash
    3. A social club, or
    4. A cult, see 1 and 2

*This statistic is completely made up.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

3. A social club, or
    4. A cult, see 1 and 2

All a bunch of cults if you ask me

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Such as?

3. A social club, or
    4. A cult, see 1 and 2

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Also interesting that you should quote the Christian New Testament, for (the vast minority of) Christians believe in salvation by grace, not by works (or mans' efforts) alone. This aspect of Christianity makes it entirely unique. Note that many 'religions' masquerade as Christianity.
    Such as?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Why only man-made religions?
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    You are Peter and upon this rock 'I' will build 'my' Church." (Mat 16:19)

It was an interesting distinction that RH made, hence my question.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    He's an MP. So he's the one who claims the £5.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Is there such thing as a Non man-made religion?
    Of course there is.... the Jedi

Leave a comment:

Working...
X