• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Migraine - Sufferers and cures.."

Collapse

• johnhol
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Propananol 80mg a day.

I was having a migraine every 7-10 days last year. Since being on them from November, I've not had a migraine since.

You need something to break the cycle of them (if they are regular) - normal course is to take them for 6 months or so, then wean off and see how that does. Most people don't have any migraines for a few years (or longer) once that cycle is broken.
    Will have to mention that to the quack next time.

Tried taking Pzitofen everyday for 6 months whoch helped to a degree though felt terrible for six months while taken them......

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by johnhol View Post
    tried cutting out all the possible triggers but nothing seems to do the trick.

Even changes in the weather causes them...like todays one (mildish one thank god)

Might try accupuncture...
    Some migraines are triggered by a sugar rush, or low blood sugar.

I used to get some real blinders thirty years ago, when I was as thin as a whippet. But now I've put on a bit of weight I never get headaches. I reckon the extra, er, upholstery stabilizes my blood sugar levels or something.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    One time I a migraine was just starting. Though I only smoked when drinking (so about 10 cigs a week), one of my friends lit up and offered me a ciggy. I smoked it, got the "buzz" and the migraine vanished.

AIUI something in cigarettes causes the blood vessels to do the opposite of what they do when you have a migraine.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Dehydration may also be the cause.

If you plan to go out for the night on the tiles, make sure that you have a load of water over the previous 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Observe the effect of coffee. Caffeine might give temporary relief, then you need to wean yourself off it.

Also: tannin-containing food and drink may bring it on.
    Last edited by darrenb; 13 May 2009, 21:26.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Propananol 80mg a day.

I was having a migraine every 7-10 days last year. Since being on them from November, I've not had a migraine since.

You need something to break the cycle of them (if they are regular) - normal course is to take them for 6 months or so, then wean off and see how that does. Most people don't have any migraines for a few years (or longer) once that cycle is broken.

Leave a comment:

• KackAttack
    replied
    I used to suffer from these, the Dr said bad posture could cause, I found in the end that if I sleep with two pillows it is 75% likely I will get a migrane the next day.

I suspect that that if one of the reasons for the Peter/Jordon split.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Wurzel wrote : First time I got it I thought I was having a brain haemorrhage!
    Surely you just ask Aunt Sally to give you (a new) head ?

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Stress mainly. Mine also seem to be triggered by fluorescent lighting.
    I never get the full blown headache but I get really bad distorted vision for a couple of hours. First time I got it I thought I was having a brain haemorrhage!

Leave a comment:

• johnhol
    replied
    tried cutting out all the possible triggers but nothing seems to do the trick.

Even changes in the weather causes them...like todays one (mildish one thank god)

Might try accupuncture...

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    I've just got a stonking migraine trying to write a cover letter for a permie job.

Maybe it's trying to tell me something, and I'll feel better after a nice lie down.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Since leaving permiedom, I don't get migraine.
    WHS

Sing to yourself every morning 'I've got no boss, I've got no boss'

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I hear acupuncture works

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
    Try finding out what causes the migraine. Some people find that certain foods bring it on for example, then you can look to avoid them.
    My ex wife used to have migraine problems related to orange juice, some mineral waters and red wine. She cut those out for a while and I believe hasn't had one since.

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    Try finding out what causes the migraine. Some people find that certain foods bring it on for example, then you can look to avoid them.

I also hear heart problems (a friend had a hole in the heart which caused his), teeth issues and well pretty much anything can cause them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X