• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I need your ID verified"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Correct.

Just another reason why these regs are an epic FAIL, as if any agency is going to do all the required checks before forwarding any CV. Would make their costs astronomical

I would say in about 99% of contracts the contractor is opted in (regardless of signing a paper saying they are opted out) and the agency has failed to do any of their legally required checks at the time they meant to do them (if at all)
    Agreed. Opted out in current gig signed nothing.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    [QUOTE=Not So Wise;839515]Correct.

Just another reason why these regs are an epic FAIL, QUOTE]

Agreed. In Current Gig, I was asked to opt out after I had started, Employer references (My Ltd Co) were followed up with me as if I were a separate person to the person going on site, and some other documents that I am supposed to read/agree to/sign before going on site have never materialised.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think you will find that they are supposed to establish your ID BEFORE introducing you to the client.
    Correct.

Just another reason why these regs are an epic FAIL, as if any agency is going to do all the required checks before forwarding any CV. Would make their costs astronomical

I would say in about 99% of contracts the contractor is opted in (regardless of signing a paper saying they are opted out) and the agency has failed to do any of their legally required checks at the time they meant to do them (if at all)

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    I think you will find that they are supposed to establish your ID BEFORE introducing you to the client.

Politely refuse. If they say they can not act as your agent then thank them for their time and go direct with the client.

I've done the same with Hays in the past (not naming and shaming just stating a fact)

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied

Politely refuse. If they say they can not act as your agent then thank them for their time and go direct with the client.
    WHS. This condition is part of their offer. If you don't like it, look for another offer.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Dear <any pimp>
    Looking forward to meeting up with you to confirm my ID - I have scheduled you in for 10 minutes at x o'clock on y date at my office.

Thanx
    Good idea, but do you want an agent anywhere near your office/home? Better make it on neutral ground.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Whole thing is probably an attempt to get you to opt out of agency regulations.

You can expect to be asked to sign an "IR35 exemption" form

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    ...........However the agent is now requesting that I go to their office to 'confirm my ID':

I need your ID verified in a <agency name removed> Office, can you please confirm which area you would like to go to and I'll arrange it.
    Dear <any pimp>
    Looking forward to meeting up with you to confirm my ID - I have scheduled you in for 10 minutes at x o'clock on y date at my office.

Thanx

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    I opted in for various reasons, but the PCG website stated that agency regulations specify ID checking but not the method, which is why it grates me a bit - it's clearly a procedure they created and not legislation.

No bother - guess I'll go to their office so that they can photocopy my passoprt rather than me sending them a scan

Thanks for the responses.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Tell them you are opting out. ID is then not required you are a company providing services, end of. Did you ask for a copy of the plumber's passport when the new washing machine was fitted?

This is a belts and braces approach by agencies who don't know what they are doing and ultimately exposes you to fraud by passing your details to every tom dick and harry.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    For identity verification, the company only has its arse covered if they meet the individual in person. Through the post or via email isn't sufficient.

I do enjoy telling that to agencies.

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by tino View Post
    that is the most pathetic attempt at hiding a name as I have surely ever seen
    Glad you like it but couldn't think how to describe them any other way (other than devious and like to change payment terms at whim but I think that sums up most agencies)

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
    If the agency is named after a season its normal practise. 6 miles isn't far so I'd do it. however If I was asked to drive for 200 miles then I might be reluctant.
    that is the most pathetic attempt at hiding a name as I have surely ever seen

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    If the agency is named after a season its normal practise. 6 miles isn't far so I'd do it. however If I was asked to drive for 200 miles then I might be reluctant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X