• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Driving Through Europe"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am planning to drive to France in the autumn : just need as passport for Baby BP.

Leave a comment:

• trsisko
    replied
    i knew a family that drove to Morocco! now thats what you call a fair distance

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Similar happened to me. It was a McLaren SLR. Yum.

I do wonder what he'd have done if I hadn't spotted his single headlight flash.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i was going through germany to belgium a few years ago, up near aachen there's a real long straight must be over a mile

I was in the middle lane,

checked my mirror, nothing there

pulled out to over take the car in front

then noticed a single flash of head lights from a car which I could hardly see in the distance behind me....

did the gentlemanly thing, this is germany, let's not f/e/c/k about...

pulled back in...

a matter of seconds later a porsche 911 came past so fast that my car was shaken like when a gust of high wind gets you

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you drive fast enough, it rarely happens. Though there's always a coach that'll pull out to overtake, doing just over 100kph.

Stop off at Rust, take in europapark. Not for the kids - for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Driving is easy on the main land as long as you realise that you are legaly obliged to give way to a car flashing you from behind.
    My recollection of being a passenger on German roads 20-odd years ago was that if you didn't start getting out of the way of a car that was flashing its headlights at you when it was still half a mile away, you will probably be rammed within 15 seconds.

Wooooooooshhhhhhh!

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Salzburg: Castle is a must. You get a superb view of the city from up there. Mirabel gardens for that Sound of Music moment. I would also recommend Schloss Heilbron.
    Also the salt mines with the underground slides and underground railways - kids love them! And so do I!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Done many a contract in Southern Germany so driven the route a lot. In Friedrichshafen now.
    Not sure about with kids but it is about an 8 hour hit to Munich from Calais then 1.5 hours to Salzburg.
    Some people do the peages through France but I would suggest the Belgium, Holland, Lux, Germany routes are as quick and only add about 120 miles.
    Driving is easy on the main land as long as you realise that you are legaly obliged to give way to a car flashing you from behind.

Salzburg: Castle is a must. You get a superb view of the city from up there. Mirabel gardens for that Sound of Music moment. I would also recommend Schloss Heilbron.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Driving on the German roads is an experience. They have a set of rules and an etiquette, unlike driving darn sarf , where its dog eat dog

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    No problem but watch out for school holidays, France or Germany. They all go on holiday together. In Germany the states are staggered. Nord-Rhein Westphalia will clog up the Autobahn. These days everyone has air conditioning, in July if it is good weather will be well into the 30´s.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you'll be fine we do a lot of driving through europe with a 2 and 4yr old

the best investment was the built in roof mounted dvd player in the car

the motorway services in germany and austria are top notch, look for the 'Rosenburger' motorway services in austria fantastic

make sure to do the sound of music tour in salzburg

have fun, make plenty of stops, keep playing dvd's and children's cd's and you will be fine

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The Nürburgring is about half way...

linky
    Last edited by VectraMan; 8 May 2009, 21:18.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Thanks - we are ending up in Salzburg and then coming back via Center Parcs in France...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    We are planning on driving through Europe in the summer, ending in Austria.

Is this too far to travel with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old ? We are planning on stopping off half way through. Any advice or ideas where to stop off from anyone please ?
    It is very easy, Germans do it all the time. You will find it easier than driving in the UK especially as there are lots of stopping places on the Autobahn. Go for it. You will need to buy an Austrian road tax sticker. (it used to be about £12). Where in Austria are you going?

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    started a topic Driving Through Europe

Driving Through Europe

We are planning on driving through Europe in the summer, ending in Austria.

Is this too far to travel with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old ? We are planning on stopping off half way through. Any advice or ideas where to stop off from anyone please ?

Working...
X