• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Environmental sabotage (in a good way)"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    If it's a brown field site then the sugestion that there may have been asbestos on the site that was not adequately cleaned up would probably do the trick.

Alternatively write the local paper complaining of extensive contamination with Di-Hydrogen Oxide, a chemical known to be found in cancerous cells, brain cells of Varient CJD patients and in the blood of victims of drug overdoses
    The park we are trying to save is totally contaminated, they flattened an old foundry and stuck the heavy metal laden ashes in the mines underneath. The voids are about 50 foot high and have since flooded, so they are going to drain them into lagoons and fill them with topsoil. So for us contamination has not been a barrier.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Catch as many grey squirrels as you can and dye thier fur red.

Plant some fake archaeology on the site.

Bury a jerry can with petrol in it and pretend to strike oil.

Buy skeletons off the idiots on the apprentice and bury them.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If it's a brown field site then the sugestion that there may have been asbestos on the site that was not adequately cleaned up would probably do the trick.

Alternatively write the local paper complaining of extensive contamination with Di-Hydrogen Oxide, a chemical known to be found in cancerous cells, brain cells of Varient CJD patients and in the blood of victims of drug overdoses

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Reading the above after reading the posts about whales was quite surreal.

Forget good environmental sabotage - seed the land with uranium.
    A bit of Japanese knotwood would be good too.
    The stuff is very invasive, grows like wildfire and can easily ruin foundations, so when they find it they'll have to cost in the excavation of a very deep, wide hole to ensure it's all been removed. might slow them down for a bit and give you time to find local fauna to inhabit the site.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    True. We live in Greenwich and my dog is fascinated by them - we normally see one or two on our evening walk.
    Is saw in the City by the Royal Exchange about a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    True. We live in Greenwich and my dog is fascinated by them - we normally see one or two on our evening walk.
    Reading the above after reading the posts about whales was quite surreal.

Forget good environmental sabotage - seed the land with uranium.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Birds, bats, badgers and 1000 trees, tried the lot in stopping the council. 900 objections but if they want to build there nothing can really stop them.

Our only option now is to try and make the land unmarketable due to the extensive mining that went on there. We have realised that you don't get anywhere if you follow the formal procedures.

If anyone knows of anyone with a whale let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    petunias

I don't know. Where do some people go to school.
    Thanks - I did almost look it up to check, I was confident that I would soon be corrected if I was wrong.
    If there's one thing you can always be sure of on CUK its pedantry.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I'm no expert, but I suspect that any sperm whale appearing on a greenfield site in the UK would be a little confused - although the pot of geraniums that appear along side it, is used to that sort of thing
    petunias

I don't know. Where do some people go to school.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Also try to get tree preservation orders for any suitable trees.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    if there are any existing oldish structures around, bats are your friends

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I'm no expert, but I suspect that any sperm whale appearing on a greenfield site in the UK would be a little confused - although the pot of geraniums that appear along side it, is used to that sort of thing
    All hail, the late great Douglas Adams.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Foxes - endangered ? When I used to work nights in sarf london I would see loads of the blighters.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Sperm Whales.

That'll confuse them (the developers, not the whales obviously), and cost an absolute fortune to remove.

Getting them there might be tricky, but when I were a nipper, we'd head down t'beach with a jam jar on a piece of string...

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Foxes?

They've got the advantage of being properly mammalian and looking cute, thus providing you with advantages in the area of publicity.
    Foxes - endangered ? When I used to work nights in sarf london I would see loads of the blighters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X