• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: London to Paris

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London to Paris"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...when who should appear but a beautiful French farm maid. "What are you doing here, ma cherie" she said, pouting her luscious lips lasciviously, her low cut farmer's blouse serving only to underline her ample endowment....
    Have I logged into the Mills and Boon forum?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Am having visions of myself collapsed in a heap alongside a deserted French B-road.

...when who should appear but a beautiful French farm maid. "What are you doing here, ma cherie" she said, pouting her luscious lips lasciviously, her low cut farmer's blouse serving only to underline her ample endowment....

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Good luck OS!!

Although I secretly hate you, as now I have that stupid "From Paris to Berlin" song stuck in my head
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The very best of luck!

Every time you feel like stopping remember that we will laugh at you forever more if you fail....
    Thanks folks.

BP, you have hit the nail on the head there. Couldn't face the permie colleagues on Monday if I fail.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Day 1 tomorrow. Hope it is relatively wind-free as butterflies have started. Am having visions of myself collapsed in a heap alongside a deserted French B-road.
    The very best of luck!

Every time you feel like stopping remember that we will laugh at you forever more if you fail....

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Good luck OS!!

Although I secretly hate you, as now I have that stupid "From Paris to Berlin" song stuck in my head

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    So I have been conned into doing this cycle ride in September for charity. It's around 330 miles in 4 days worth of cycling. First day is nearly 100 miles and if you don't catch the Ferry on time it's game over . Given that I presently don't own a bicycle is this madness or can I do it? Any suggestions (smartass or otherise) welcome.
    Day 1 tomorrow. Hope it is relatively wind-free as butterflies have started. Am having visions of myself collapsed in a heap alongside a deserted French B-road.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    That's the plan. There looks to be a decent one in wimbledon village.
    He's ok - very old school, it has never been my LBS but every time I've been passing and needed somthing obscure he's had one in stock.

Action Bikes on the broadway are good too.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Please support your local bike shop.
    That's the plan. There looks to be a decent one in wimbledon village.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    WHS You are by far better off at a proper bike shop (and they might well throw in the deal some Dutch Perfect tires, you'll need them)
    Yes, even if my knowledge of bicycles is limited to my own hybrid I'd always agree to that; given the choice, always buy from a local craftsman or shopowner; that applies to food, wines, bikes, furniture etc.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Please please please don't buy from Halfords. They are ***** of the highest order.

Please support your local bike shop. Especially if you are spending £4-500. If they are anything like mine they will get you a "last years model" bike at a substantial discount.
    WHS You are by far better off at a proper bike shop (and they might well throw in the deal some Dutch Perfect tires, you'll need them)

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    Indeeds..Halfords actually do have some decent bikes around the £400-£500 mark. Not for the "experts" but more than good enough for mere mortals.
    Please please please don't buy from Halfords. They are ***** of the highest order.

Please support your local bike shop. Especially if you are spending £4-500. If they are anything like mine they will get you a "last years model" bike at a substantial discount.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    You can't compensate for pie and cake consumption by spending more on bikes.

Try spending less on both if you want to stop being a porker - Halfords special will do you*

* Perhaps not, it may break, if you sat on one
    Actually Halfords do/did a really nice bike that might suit him well. It has an Alfine hub. What stopped me was the torque it can take is less than I normally develop, but for a beginner it'd be a good start.

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied

Try spending less on both if you want to stop being a porker - Halfords special will do you*

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    £2,999.99 is quite an investment for a beginner.
    Indeeds..Halfords actually do have some decent bikes around the £400-£500 mark. Not for the "experts" but more than good enough for mere mortals.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    My main tourer has the basic geometry of the Dawes copied to a titanium frame I had built.

Dawes has noticed that a good few folks have been doing this over the last few years so you can get one direct from them now.

For your first trip out though I wouldn't go for drops, they take a goodly while to get used to, even though it is so much better a position.
    £2,999.99 is quite an investment for a beginner.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    My main tourer has the basic geometry of the Dawes copied to a titanium frame I had built.

Dawes has noticed that a good few folks have been doing this over the last few years so you can get one direct from them now.

For your first trip out though I wouldn't go for drops, they take a goodly while to get used to, even though it is so much better a position.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X