• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London to Paris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    I see you got your bike sorted OS - keep your average speed up now the fuzz are chasing
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8035603.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Geometry.

The classic touring bike is the Dawes Galaxy but they cost an f'in fortune and are built like the proverbial tuliphouse (my uncle has a 1998 vintage that is still brilliant).
      My main tourer has the basic geometry of the Dawes copied to a titanium frame I had built.

Dawes has noticed that a good few folks have been doing this over the last few years so you can get one direct from them now.

For your first trip out though I wouldn't go for drops, they take a goodly while to get used to, even though it is so much better a position.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        My main tourer has the basic geometry of the Dawes copied to a titanium frame I had built.

Dawes has noticed that a good few folks have been doing this over the last few years so you can get one direct from them now.

For your first trip out though I wouldn't go for drops, they take a goodly while to get used to, even though it is so much better a position.

You can't compensate for pie and cake consumption by spending more on bikes.

Try spending less on both if you want to stop being a porker - Halfords special will do you*

* Perhaps not, it may break, if you sat on one
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

£2,999.99 is quite an investment for a beginner.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Try spending less on both if you want to stop being a porker - Halfords special will do you*

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            £2,999.99 is quite an investment for a beginner.
            Indeeds..Halfords actually do have some decent bikes around the £400-£500 mark. Not for the "experts" but more than good enough for mere mortals.
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Actually Halfords do/did a really nice bike that might suit him well. It has an Alfine hub. What stopped me was the torque it can take is less than I normally develop, but for a beginner it'd be a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                Indeeds..Halfords actually do have some decent bikes around the £400-£500 mark. Not for the "experts" but more than good enough for mere mortals.
                Please please please don't buy from Halfords. They are ***** of the highest order.

Please support your local bike shop. Especially if you are spending £4-500. If they are anything like mine they will get you a "last years model" bike at a substantial discount.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Please please please don't buy from Halfords. They are ***** of the highest order.

Please support your local bike shop. Especially if you are spending £4-500. If they are anything like mine they will get you a "last years model" bike at a substantial discount.
                  WHS You are by far better off at a proper bike shop (and they might well throw in the deal some Dutch Perfect tires, you'll need them)

Comment

WHS You are by far better off at a proper bike shop (and they might well throw in the deal some Dutch Perfect tires, you'll need them)
                    Yes, even if my knowledge of bicycles is limited to my own hybrid I'd always agree to that; given the choice, always buy from a local craftsman or shopowner; that applies to food, wines, bikes, furniture etc.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Please support your local bike shop.
                      That's the plan. There looks to be a decent one in wimbledon village.

Comment

Working...
                      X