• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How many hours do you typically work for your daily rate?"

Collapse

• Grinder
    replied
    I'm loving this poll Wish I hadn't set an end-date on it.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You are kidding - right? Tell me you are kidding!!!
    No am not kidding.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I have always despised presenteeism, and everyone who engages in it. So I would normally do eight hour days and be out the door at 5pm.

But if you are working on projects then everything is about delivery so I have been still at work after 11pm near a delivery deadline, but that is very very rare.
    1999 posts Gonzo. Go for the two grand.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    I have always despised presenteeism, and everyone who engages in it. So I would normally do eight hour days and be out the door at 5pm.

But if you are working on projects then everything is about delivery so I have been still at work after 11pm near a delivery deadline, but that is very very rare.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    If I do more than 6 hours of actual work I start to feel ill

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
    I would say it was around 10 hours plus weekends which I would not charge for. My rate was then slashed and I would say I now do my contracted 8 hours maybe 9 if it is a busy day.
    You are kidding - right? Tell me you are kidding!!!

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    I would say it was around 10 hours plus weekends which I would not charge for. My rate was then slashed and I would say I now do my contracted 8 hours maybe 9 if it is a busy day.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Who is andyW?

I'm obviously a Johnny come lately, as I don't get this exclusive reference.
    AndyW was a very abusive but funny guy who obviously had a lot of issues..

classic andyw

and then eventually came to a sorry end

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    In 20 years of contracting I've only ever done hourly paid.

Day rate just means they want you for 10-14 hours a day, I've never heard of day raters doing lots of 5 hour days.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I don't have to look that busy. Usually I do about 2-3 hours work in my 8 hour shift. Still four times faster than the others on the team. And about twice as cost-effective as offshoring.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianSnail View Post
    I think we need a poll on this. Don't forget the Andyw option...
    Who is andyW?

I'm obviously a Johnny come lately, as I don't get this exclusive reference.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    7 hours and 6 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Yes it is.

It's time to let the AndyW option go now.

We've have good milage with it, but it's not funny anymore.

It's tired.

It's old.

It's time has come.

Just let it go.
    I think we need a poll on this. Don't forget the Andyw option...

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You will not get more than 8 hours out of me unless I bugger up and have to fix an issue.

A couple of years ago I was working for an IB and got dragged on the 26th of December, I had been out for a meal and had probably drunk 2 bottles of wine and a few beers, they phoned me at 12 just before I was going to go to bed. I had to head down and fix an issue with some Hong Kong deal valuation. I was rubbered, sitting in an empty office trying to hold it together as traders were screaming at me on the phone.

flip being a hero, never answered a call from them again.
    yeah I've been there in IB's (I have my own IB departmental blacklist where I will never work again and would rather be on the street begging), it just aint worth it is it and although at the time it feels really bad to be in that situation looking at it retrospectavly you start wondering to yourself "why didn't I just say 'No' at the time".

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Depends on the rate and the client. 2 at current client, has been up to 4 or 5 before. Out of 7.5

Oh you said how many do they expect me to work. Sorry Ive answered how many I do actual work in. In answer to the original question, I don't care, they get what they're given.
    Last edited by shoes; 19 April 2009, 09:35. Reason: inability to read

Leave a comment:

Working...
X