• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flight advice: Durham - Las Vegas"

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Can you remember which planes you flew (type not tail numbers)?

It was with British Airways for the long-haul(I worked for them at that time) and local airlines short-haul. I cannot remember which aircraft but it would have been one of these :

instigated
    1977 - Boeing 747-200
    1980 - Boeing 737-200
    1980 - Lockheed Tristar 500

Also, I would add that I did side trips by car to Lake Havasu (150km) to see London Bridge and the Hoover Dam (20KM). I would imagine that LV has changed considerably since 1980 !!

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Possibly travelling out first week of June to LV. So far, can't find a great set of flights. From my local airports (Durham & Newcastle) I'm looking at 18hrs+, 1 or 2 stops with big gaps... IIRC it's only about 10 hours flying time.
    I seemed to think Manchester had a direct flight but can't find it, another option might be the express train to London and then a direct flight but that might well involve a load of changes within London itself.

Advice on flights and airlines? One thing that'd be amazing is a plane on the main leg which has power adapters on seats so I can use my laptop (on economy).
    Its for you

Leave a comment:

• reddog
    replied
    I think the only way you can go direct from UK is from either London or Manchester.

If you are decide on an indirect flight it would be better to have your change in Europe rather than the US, due to the fact that you have to clear customs at the first point of entry in the US. I would say fly from your local airport to Amsterdam/Paris/London Heathrow/Frankfurt and then a direct flight from Hub airport. Much better than messing about with trains/tube/staying overnight (except if they lose you luggage - which has only happened to me once)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Have you thought of.................

Asking a Travel Agent?
    Do they have access to any better information than I can find on Expedia, SkyScanner, et al?

So far I've found there look to be great direct flights (10hr or less) from Gatwick. Unfortunately not only is Durham-Gatwick a bit of a trek (train->tube->gatwick express), we'd have to travel to London the day before. Maybe that's the best option, a day in London before-hand, but we may not have the time to spare.

Grr.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Skyscanner!!!!
    I used to swear by it. But ive been won over by kayak. Try it.
    http://www.kayak.co.uk

Back to the OP, most of the cheaper flights out to LV tend to involve at least one stop scheduled (I think, from london, only virgin go direct now). But IMHO 2 hours of Sam Adams in Minniapolis airport is prefferable to a direct flight on a charter with your knees in your chin.

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    flew to vegas last year, went from Newcastle to Gatwick
    Gatwick to LV direct - flew with Virgin....lovley!

10 hrs...not too bad

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I did Las Vegas almost 30 years ago.
    Did your bum hurt afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Skyscanner!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I did Las Vegas almost 30 years ago. I flew LHR to San Francisco.... SFR to Los Angeles and then LA to Las Vegas.
    Can you remember which planes you flew (type not tail numbers)?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I did Las Vegas almost 30 years ago. I flew LHR to San Francisco.... SFR to Los Angeles and then LA to Las Vegas.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Have you thought of.................

Asking a Travel Agent?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Possibly travelling out first week of June to LV. So far, can't find a great set of flights. From my local airports (Durham & Newcastle) I'm looking at 18hrs+, 1 or 2 stops with big gaps... IIRC it's only about 10 hours flying time.
    I seemed to think Manchester had a direct flight but can't find it, another option might be the express train to London and then a direct flight but that might well involve a load of changes within London itself.

Advice on flights and airlines? One thing that'd be amazing is a plane on the main leg which has power adapters on seats so I can use my laptop (on economy).
    Manchester to LV

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I'm not so sure Durham to Las Vegas would be considered a 'prime' route ...

Private jet maybe?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Advice on flights and airlines?
    Make sure there are no snakes on board...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Flight advice: Durham - Las Vegas

Flight advice: Durham - Las Vegas

Working...
X