• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying the landlord a drink"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Ok, look, how about this - following your logic "have a drink on me means drink" then landlord opens bottle of £10k wine, takes small glass and then comes to you to charge you the rest, how you'd like that?

The whole point of right and proper convention of "have a drink too" is to have limited liability meaning of "take a fixed tip - £1 from remaining money that you need to return to me".

It seems to me people up norf are more russional here
    Most people who actually drink in bars know the score here. d000hg just about summed it up nicely. You wouldn't normally offer the bar staff a drink unless you were a regular. In other cases you'd just leave some change on the bar, or table if it's table-service.
    Landlords would normally be included in a round, in these cases, i.e. 'what do you want, mate, a pint of the usual?'
    Limited liability meaning??? Proper convention??? What planet do you live on? You must be popular at your local.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    And in some English pubs, the guvnor himself (who is your social equal at least, unless you are a duke or better) may actually decline if he doesn't know you.
    In Liverpool, the phrase is 'take yer own love' or 'get one yerself der'
    that means take a quid out of the change. If anyone ever tried to get themselves an actual drink, or take a few quids, they would get battered.

'hey. worrayerthinkyerfkingdoinlike'

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    AtW you are wrong. If you want to tip, buy your drinks, get the change and visibly put some of it on the counter as a tip. Just like in a restaurant. I would only invite the bar-man to "have one yourself" in a pub I know well, that's more a gesture of friendship than tipping for good service.
    And in some English pubs, the guvnor himself (who is your social equal at least, unless you are a duke or better) may actually decline if he doesn't know you.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

You really are taking the biscuit with your crap today, aren't you?
    Now that you mentioned Lunch it's time for me to...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Ok, look, how about this - following your logic "have a drink on me means drink" then landlord opens bottle of £10k wine, takes small glass and then comes to you to charge you the rest, how you'd like that?

The whole point of right and proper convention of "have a drink too" is to have limited liability meaning of "take a fixed tip - £1 from remaining money that you need to return to me".

You really are taking the biscuit with your crap today, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Had a weird experience in the USA a few years ago. Being a Brit, I am not a heavy tipper, just the odd 'keep the change' once a night, so that the barmaid serves you quicker than the plebs.

In a jazz bar in Memphis, I went to get the fourth round in, the barmen wouldnt serve me. He just stood there looking at me for a few seconds, then he says

'What have I done to offend you ? am I not serving you properly ? is the beer not good ?'
    'WTF ???'
    'Well you havn't tipped me once, we dont get paid and we rely on tips to make our living. 10% is typical'

So I gave him a tip but it took the shine off the day

UK: For bars my general rule these days (since passable minimum wage was put in) is unless there is table service I don't tip (exceptions made for attentive pretty bar maids ) as the staff are getting paid by the establishment
    Also don't buy staff/owner a drink unless I know the place and the staff, aka that it will be actually drunk, not converted into a "tip"

USA: Totally different system, in many places staff get paid zilch or virtually zilch (depending on local minimum wage laws and what tactics are available to "employers" to work around the minimum wage). Only time you don't tip is if service was REALLY bad

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    What Jubber said, for smeg's sake. £1.50??? And AtW, you're spouting rubbish. Shut it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I know, or think I know, you live off the Hagley Road somewhere. Isn't that near Bournville, where pubs are banned? George Cadbury would be turning in his grave.
    Near Bournville yes - Harborne, very nice place, plenty of pubs on high street...

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    yeah, it was the attitude and the aggression that suprised me. They aint backwards at being forwards, as my dear departed nan(pbuh) nearly said
    All part of the charm dear boy, all part of the charm.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    That's usual in the US. Restaurant tips are 15-20% as the staff get taxed on them whether they get tipped or not. Always leave at least loose change when buying a drink in a bar. Factor it in to the cost is the best way. That's just the way it works over there.
    yeah, it was the attitude and the aggression that suprised me. They aint backwards at being forwards, as my dear departed nan(pbuh) nearly said

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    'Well you havn't tipped me once, we dont get paid and we rely on tips to make our living. 10% is typical'

That's usual in the US. Restaurant tips are 15-20% as the staff get taxed on them whether they get tipped or not. Always leave at least loose change when buying a drink in a bar. Factor it in to the cost is the best way. That's just the way it works over there.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Usually in the USA I just leave a $ on the bar every time I order a drink. Seems to work fine. Last time I was in Chattanooga the guy behind the bar collected coins so I just gave him a Euro for each beer, worked even better.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    AtW you are wrong. If you want to tip, buy your drinks, get the change and visibly put some of it on the counter as a tip. Just like in a restaurant. I would only invite the bar-man to "have one yourself" in a pub I know well, that's more a gesture of friendship than tipping for good service.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    it's very different in America

Me and a mate were in a night club in Boston years ago, and decided it was time to stupidly drunk.

We had just ordered jack daniels and coke, and said to the barman "actually can you make them double's please".

the guy gave us a look, and when he told us how much it was, I gave the money, and he leaned over and said angrily "if you aren't going to tip, don't ask for doubles".

he was expecting me to have slipped him I dunno a couple of dollars as I was asking for the double's.

as he gave me my change, I said to him "we were expecting to PAY extra for doubles" but he walked away before I could even give him a normal (american) tip. i just threw a few dollars down and walked away - c u n t!

I know a guy, who loves to talk about all the travelling he's done. Loves to talk about the time he spent in America.

He's such a twat he tip's in the UK as if he is in America, 15-20% no matter what restaurant or bar service is like.
    The barman was extreme : but of course in the states there are almost no wages and people live off tips.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Me and a friend once went for a tipple in a little pub called the "rovers returns" just behind the lowry in Manchester.

We sat at the bar and started to realise that every time a local bought a drink they were saying "and one for you"...

**** me we thought, these lot must be minted! they are buying one drink for themselves and another for the staff...every time!!! - Not like this down south we thought!!!

Then we started to feel a little tight, so asked the bar lady if they were all buying her drinks?

She said no, i take 10p everytime they say that!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X