• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying the landlord a drink

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    What Jubber said, for smeg's sake. £1.50??? And AtW, you're spouting rubbish. Shut it.
    Ok, look, how about this - following your logic "have a drink on me means drink" then landlord opens bottle of £10k wine, takes small glass and then comes to you to charge you the rest, how you'd like that?

The whole point of right and proper convention of "have a drink too" is to have limited liability meaning of "take a fixed tip - £1 from remaining money that you need to return to me".

It seems to me people up norf are more russional here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Had a weird experience in the USA a few years ago. Being a Brit, I am not a heavy tipper, just the odd 'keep the change' once a night, so that the barmaid serves you quicker than the plebs.

In a jazz bar in Memphis, I went to get the fourth round in, the barmen wouldnt serve me. He just stood there looking at me for a few seconds, then he says

'What have I done to offend you ? am I not serving you properly ? is the beer not good ?'
      'WTF ???'
      'Well you havn't tipped me once, we dont get paid and we rely on tips to make our living. 10% is typical'

So I gave him a tip but it took the shine off the day

UK: For bars my general rule these days (since passable minimum wage was put in) is unless there is table service I don't tip (exceptions made for attentive pretty bar maids ) as the staff are getting paid by the establishment
      Also don't buy staff/owner a drink unless I know the place and the staff, aka that it will be actually drunk, not converted into a "tip"

USA: Totally different system, in many places staff get paid zilch or virtually zilch (depending on local minimum wage laws and what tactics are available to "employers" to work around the minimum wage). Only time you don't tip is if service was REALLY bad

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Ok, look, how about this - following your logic "have a drink on me means drink" then landlord opens bottle of £10k wine, takes small glass and then comes to you to charge you the rest, how you'd like that?

The whole point of right and proper convention of "have a drink too" is to have limited liability meaning of "take a fixed tip - £1 from remaining money that you need to return to me".

You really are taking the biscuit with your crap today, aren't you?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

You really are taking the biscuit with your crap today, aren't you?
          Now that you mentioned Lunch it's time for me to...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            AtW you are wrong. If you want to tip, buy your drinks, get the change and visibly put some of it on the counter as a tip. Just like in a restaurant. I would only invite the bar-man to "have one yourself" in a pub I know well, that's more a gesture of friendship than tipping for good service.
            And in some English pubs, the guvnor himself (who is your social equal at least, unless you are a duke or better) may actually decline if he doesn't know you.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              And in some English pubs, the guvnor himself (who is your social equal at least, unless you are a duke or better) may actually decline if he doesn't know you.
              In Liverpool, the phrase is 'take yer own love' or 'get one yerself der'
              that means take a quid out of the change. If anyone ever tried to get themselves an actual drink, or take a few quids, they would get battered.

'hey. worrayerthinkyerfkingdoinlike'

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Most people who actually drink in bars know the score here. d000hg just about summed it up nicely. You wouldn't normally offer the bar staff a drink unless you were a regular. In other cases you'd just leave some change on the bar, or table if it's table-service.
                Landlords would normally be included in a round, in these cases, i.e. 'what do you want, mate, a pint of the usual?'
                Limited liability meaning??? Proper convention??? What planet do you live on? You must be popular at your local.

Comment

Working...
                X