• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working today

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working today"

Collapse

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wait a minute, the Catholics killed Jesus? This would be time travelling clerics from a top-secret, clandestine faction of the Church's para-science division, acting on the pope's direct orders? Maybe the pope figured Jesus was getting in the way and sent said priests back in time to stop him?
    Uh, yeah, I was thinking more of...

Italy don't have good friday off as a holiday

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Wait a minute, the Catholics killed Jesus? This would be time travelling clerics from a top-secret, clandestine faction of the Church's para-science division, acting on the pope's direct orders? Maybe the pope figured Jesus was getting in the way and sent said priests back in time to stop him?
    Well Tiberius Caesar was pontifex maximus ("supreme pontiff") at the time.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Because there is one Sunday a year when shops can't open. That's Easter Sunday. Go to many European countries and you'll find them mostly shut down.

On an expats forum there's been a thread, posted to largely by whinging australians and yanks, about the fact that Switzerland is closed on Good Friday. They seem to think they have a human right to be able to shop 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round.

"I don't remember the masses rising up and demanding 24 hour shopping in GB. It was retailer pressure coming from the supermarket chains and their powerful lobby groups who led us into this convenience mindset, promoting the idea of shopping for leisure rather than shopping for essentials to squeeze maximum juice out of the consumer. It's all about profits rather changing lives for the better. First it was late night extended shopping hours, then Sunday shopping and then when they got all that it was 24 hour shopping. Once that mindset takes hold in the consumer there's no going back. It changes expectations and people want the flexibility even if the majority don't use it that often by heading out to the supermarket at 3am."

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    What made me laugh is that in this backward country, nothing is open Easter Sunday & B&Q had a full car park of people trying to get in - the store employed 6 people to walk round & say "We're closed" - why not just open the feckin' store?!!

*sigh*

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Why the '?'?

The Pope takes Charmin to the forest don't you know.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Well, I guess some of them were working quite hard on the original Good Friday, what with all that crucifying to organise and so on. Maybe they're just commemorating that.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I was surprised that catholics don't do Good Friday - same in Paris.

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Well, I guess some of them were working quite hard on the original Good Friday, what with all that crucifying to organise and so on. Maybe they're just commemorating that.

that would have been some commute

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Ordered lots of hardware with next day delivery yesterday and it was shipped and delivered to local depot but actual final delivery on Tue next week!

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    No official day off here but it's awful quiet............
    Mmmm.... 3 hour lunch break

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    nope im off today, office is shut

so, ive made myself a full english and catching up on geekiness on the net.. it's my first official day of rest this year.. fandabbydosey

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    well, not "getting it off", more like not allowed to work as the office is closed... office is closed on monday here...would rather work tbh
    This client closes their office in Sept for 2 days and for 7 days at Xmas/New Year so no choice for contractors.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    Italy don't have good friday off as a holiday, how stupid is that... catholic country... no day off..

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Im also working today and Monday too.

My contract is in Glasgow and looks like they dont believe on Good Friday n Easter thingie

But as a contractor, I dont mind being working and hopefully i'll be off after lunch and go away for a weekend

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    replied
    Originally posted by Chantho View Post
    I don't "get today off" (not very contractor-friendly phrase, permies get allowed to have days off, but you know what I mean), just Monday
    well, not "getting it off", more like not allowed to work as the office is closed... office is closed on monday here...would rather work tbh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X