• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Day In Geneva....."

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    That F1 hotel may be cheap, but it's very basic. Not even ensuit. I wouldn't pay 34euros to live in a prison block.

Tony, you just have to make the best of it. It's better than being benched. Just make it a condition of any renewal that the client pays your travel and for decent hotel. There's nothing to lose in asking for this. Don't get, then leave.
    That's the way I'm thinking about it. Here I'm doing stuff with energy traders, rewriting macros etc. What I'm hoping is that when (if) the market picks up in the UK this role could give me a way in for similar jobs in London.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    That F1 hotel may be cheap, but it's very basic. Not even ensuit. I wouldn't pay 34euros to live in a prison block.

Tony, you just have to make the best of it. It's better than being benched. Just make it a condition of any renewal that the client pays your travel and for decent hotel. There's nothing to lose in asking for this. Don't get, then leave.

Some of you guys are so fussy. As long as I have a comfortable bed, clean room, TV and a decent shower, I am happy at 34 Euros. I have stayed in many F1 hotels in France and even Sao Paulo in Brazil last Xmas. The breakfast in Brazil was excellent. With Gordon Brown at the helm you may be destitute one day so why not get used to cheap living !!!

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I agree it was basic, but it wasn't clean. The room I got stunk of stale cig smoke. All the walls were dirty and it was just seriously depressing.

I would have asked for a change of room. I would be amazed if all rooms were in such a bad state.

Why not try Formula1 from 34 Euros instead ? :

http://www.hotelformule1.com/gb/hote...se/index.shtml

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    it's all ok. look at divonne les bains or gex for example. or further out towards annecy if you have time...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Many people go for just over the French border, it really is cheaper and more convenient than outside Geneva.
    Can somebody suggest where over the French border. Annemasse seems a bit grim from what I have seen of it. Is there anything worth trying deeper into France? I work walking distance from the SNCF stop between Geneva and the French border. I don't mind sitting on a train if it means I can stay somewhere affordable and nice.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    ...I resent handing out Marriott level prices for a room only to get something which is way, way below a Travel Lodge in standard. The place I've booked into doesn't even have a TV in the room, but it's cheap and clean andjust down the road from work.

I'm currently checking out places which are further afield. I don't mind sitting on a train for an hour each way - it's not like I'm driving it. I've noticed that the hotels in Lausanne seem a bit cheaper. I'll see what it's like a bit further out.
    I stayed sometimes in Nyon, there were a couple of cheap hotels there (I was working the other side from Geneva, Nyon is on the railway line). Lausanne was IME not so cheap.

Many people go for just over the French border, it really is cheaper and more convenient than outside Geneva.

Leave a comment:

• oloks
    replied
    Hi

Have been here since Jan 08, initially you will hate it, just settle into it and you will appreciate the relaxed attitude to life here...

Try this link
    http://www.glocals.com/MarketPlace/H...d/Default.aspx
    Be very careful of fraudsters when looking for accommodation

Walk down to Paquis you might to see the "colourful" part of Geneve

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    You're obviously more difficult to please than I am. The Etap was basic but clean, cheap and comfortable.
    I agree it was basic, but it wasn't clean. The room I got stunk of stale cig smoke. All the walls were dirty and it was just seriously depressing.

As for being hard to please, I think Geneva isn't the place for me, which is a pain in the @rse as I have 88 days left of this contract. I resent handing out Marriott level prices for a room only to get something which is way, way below a Travel Lodge in standard. The place I've booked into doesn't even have a TV in the room, but it's cheap and clean andjust down the road from work.

I'm currently checking out places which are further afield. I don't mind sitting on a train for an hour each way - it's not like I'm driving it. I've noticed that the hotels in Lausanne seem a bit cheaper. I'll see what it's like a bit further out.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I tried staying over the boredr in France in a cheapy ETap hotel in Annemasse and it was horrible. I'm really struggling to like this place. It's just too expansive and the stuff over the French border is grim. I might give Lausanne a whirl though as the hotels seem to be hitting a better price for the standard you get. Still way above what you'd expect to pay in the UK or anywhere else fro that matter but significantly cheaper than Geneva.

I'm now almost 2 days in and only have 88 left i think!

You're obviously more difficult to please than I am. The Etap was basic but clean, cheap and comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Is it not possible to live over the border in France and commute? Should be cheaper there
    I tried staying over the boredr in France in a cheapy ETap hotel in Annemasse and it was horrible. I'm really struggling to like this place. It's just too expansive and the stuff over the French border is grim. I might give Lausanne a whirl though as the hotels seem to be hitting a better price for the standard you get. Still way above what you'd expect to pay in the UK or anywhere else fro that matter but significantly cheaper than Geneva.

I'm now almost 2 days in and only have 88 left i think!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I know this might sound surprising but it is indeed the Swiss that make the place lively, they're all down the live Jazz pubs bopping away.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Geneva really is nothing special. Just rake in the money then get outta there !!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    ....and it's w@nk. The job seems fine but it is too bleedin expensive. Roll on the credit crunch over here! 1 day down, only another 89 to go.
    Is it not possible to live over the border in France and commute? Should be cheaper there.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you're the type of person who needs lots of night life. Maybe be CH isn't the place for you.
    I disagree as Iv been to Zurich last September for a weekend and found quite a decent night life in city centre because of tourists.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X