• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Private School Poll"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I went to a violent inner-city Comprehensive school.

More pupils left in a body-bag than left with a qualification.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I was the first boy to successfully navigate through the security and sneak into the girl's house in the middle of the night - with inside help of course

I was lauded for being able to pick the Yale locks between the boys' and girls' dorms - and used to charge £10 a time to let people through! Such was my first foray into contracting.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Mixed boarding schools FTW
    No such luck, boys only school for me. And we only had ginger nuts and hot buttered crumpets to keep us occupied at night.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I went to a boarding school and it was excellent.

I was the first boy to successfully navigate through the security and sneak into the girl's house in the middle of the night - with inside help of course

Mixed boarding schools FTW

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Village school til 9 - My Mum took me out as the school had me down as dim and it was only until I had an eye test that they realised I couldn’t actually see the black board!

My folks scrimped to send me to paid private convent school for two years which paid off as I got a scholarship to the senior school.

Nuns are evil and I hated it. I have no fond memories of school and only keep in touch with one other person who went there.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Minor League Private school, 11-18, boarding the whole time. Hated it.

Notable previous inmates included :

Jeffrey Archer, claimed he went a similarly named but more prestigeous school elsewhere.

Keith Floyd.

David Suchet

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    I had state school education until the age of 13, which is when I came to England. Here in the UK, I frequented a private boarding school until 18.
    It was a bit of a culture shock at first, but ended up loving it.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I went to a school that selected on pupil ability rather than parent money. It was only later that I found out the relative standing of these two aspects in society.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Rantor View Post
    As did I, mostly. Same one as you I suppose, as there is only one in scotland I think.

Instilled a deep rooted hatred of the scottish middle classes that I still can't quite get into perspective after 25 yrs. Shower of utter c***s.
    Exactly the same feeling I gained from my incarceration there. I eventually told my parents that I was never going back no matter what they did.

It was a training school to build arseholes to go into a law degree. I now have a greater respect for folk who have made something from nothing rather than the "My daddy has a porsche and I want to be a Lawyer" ***** that the school produces.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I went to a Jesuit school, they made the current pope look like a free thinking liberal.
    As did I, mostly. Same one as you I suppose, as there is only one in scotland I think.

Instilled a deep rooted hatred of the scottish middle classes that I still can't quite get into perspective after 25 yrs. Shower of utter c***s.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I take it this is now the thread.

I went but really hated it, an amazing amount of tossers.
    I went (won a scholarship) but fookin' hated the Edwardian ethos. Teachers walking about in robes, big school, prefects, boat race .... all that old Bollox. I got expelled after a few years and went to the local comp. Didn't learn a thing but was like a breath of fresh air. Made it to a proper Uni too

I enjoyed the rugby though. Kept that up for many years after.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I went to a Catholic school but I didn't go to church... now I feel guilty.
    I went to a Jesuit school, they made the current pope look like a free thinking liberal.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I went to progressive private school - teachers called by the first name, no prefects, no sports days. Enjoyed it, but was glad to get back to reality by going to the local sixth-form college.

A few reasonably well-known people from my time.

This pillock, who was a pillock then. Got done for VAT fraud.

Isla Blair's son.

Always was a bit of a flirt

Hello! photos of Zeta Jones.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Yep - private school from 11 to 18 here. First one was a living hell, Lord Of The Flies kind of experience, second one was excellent, outstanding. Boarded from 15 to 18.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I went to a Catholic school but I didn't go to church... now I feel guilty.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X