• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview questions"

Collapse

• bullseye
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If that's true then I feel sorry for you, spending years and years of your life doing something you don't enjoy just for a paycheck.

Money is the reason I work for someone else, rather than develop my own software, but I wouldn't be working in software development in the first place if I didn't find it interesting, challenging and rewarding.
    TBH what you are saying is right.

I have been trained to do what I do and I enjoy what I do. However I would not do it for free though and the answer I gave was something along the lines of what you mentioned.

Irrespective of whether I enjoy or not I would definitely not work for free and that is what I meant when I said 'Money'.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bullseye View Post
    Anyways, one of the question that was asked was ' What are you passionate about, what makes you get up and come to work'.

To be honest my answer would have been plain and simple - 'Money'.
    If that's true then I feel sorry for you, spending years and years of your life doing something you don't enjoy just for a paycheck.

Money is the reason I work for someone else, rather than develop my own software, but I wouldn't be working in software development in the first place if I didn't find it interesting, challenging and rewarding.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    What is your greatest weakness? ....
    "I have an unpleasant tendency to throw annoying idiots who ask stupid questions through the nearest window"

Wadya reckon...would that be inappropriate?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    What is your greatest weakness? Sometimes I just work with a hardon.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    "And what can you bring to the Position/Company that will benefit us ?"

Me - that is why I am applying for it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    What about confusing them? My greatest weakness is my greatest strength, grasshopper.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    What is your greatest weakness? Sometimes I just work too hard.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    One of the best things about being a contractor though is not having to put up with that sort of rubbish. Not having to fill in an annual career development plan form is worth £10 a hour in itself!

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    I had a moment of weakness a few years ago and applied for a permie consultancy role. I was asked 'where do I see myself in 5 yrs'. 'Retired in Cyprus' wasn't the answer they were looking for unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by bullseye View Post
    What are you passionate about, what makes you get up and come to work'
    What's a good answer? How about to earn enough to able to afford to buy some food? It could be a good answer next year.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    In an interview for an oil company a few weeks after the Alaskan oil spill. They asked me what I thought about all the damage being caused by the spill.
    I said 'dunno, havn't really thought about it. Dont really know much about politics'

the consensus was that they were trying to weed out the eco warriors

You should have said "a dreadful waste of revenue". They'd have offered you the job on the spot and you'd be running the company by now!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    In an interview for an oil company a few weeks after the Alaskan oil spill. They asked me what I thought about all the damage being caused by the spill.
    I said 'dunno, havn't really thought about it. Dont really know much about politics'

the consensus was that they were trying to weed out the eco warriors

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    My answer was a slightly tongue in (ass) cheek reply to "what permies want to hear". HTH.
    Those sort of questions used to drive me nuts and put me off in an instant. I remember on one occasion was asked the "where do you want to be in 5 years time" rubbish, and came very close to answering "mind your own damned business" and walking out.

I'm a very polite soul though (!) so I held my tongue. Never did find out if I was going to be offered the gig - I spoke to the pimp straight after I left the building and said I wasn't interested (it wasn't just the silly questions in the interview...it was one of those situations where one knew one was walking into a minefield). I rather suspect that they weren't either though

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I find the most difficult thing with that type of interview is keeping a straight face. I have an irresistable urge to laugh out loud and say "are you kidding? Surely nobody asks these type of questions anymore?" whenever somebody asks "what's your biggest weakness?"

I often wonder, if they know it's all tulip but are simply going through the motions, or whether they really believe it. Sadly, asking would kind of give the game away, if they did.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    CUSTOMER
    My answer was a slightly tongue in (ass) cheek reply to "what permies want to hear". HTH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X