• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oxymoron?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oxymoron?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Ah, irregular verbs.

I give unofficial briefings
    You leak
    He is prosecuted under the Official Secrets acts.

I am cautious
    You are indecisive
    He is schizophrenic

I am a realist
    You are a cynic
    He is delusional

I am an individual
    You are eccentric
    He is round the twist

I was unlucky
    You are a f'kin moron
    He deserves to lose everything

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    So basically, someone else's problem is their fault, meanwhile your problem isn't your fault.
    I am cautious
    You are indecisive

I am a realist
    You are a cynic

I am eccentric
    You are wierd

I was unlucky
    You are a f'kin moron

I like this logic!!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I agree with you. People who take on debt must take personal responsibility for that decision. To continually blame the banks is just a diversionary tactic by HMG to procure votes.
    And yet your view on holders of NR shares seems to be one where "caveat emptor" does NOT apply and you blame the government?

So basically, someone else's problem is their fault, meanwhile your problem isn't your fault.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can foresee a whole new arena for people to abdicate their responsibilies - people who were "missold a credit-card". If they cannot repay then the bank shouldn't have sold it to them.

Not only should the person then be excused from repaying their debt, they should get compensation for all the interest that they have already paid. Brilliant!
    My point is it’s the fault and responsibility of both the borrowers AND the lenders. You don’t excuse one by punishing the other. In this case, the bankrupt borrowers have probably had enough punishment to learn their lessons; they’ve lost all their personal wealth and have an atrocious credit rating, which will make it difficult for them to get jobs or get mortgages for a long time. And that's right. What isn't right is that the people who sold them credit irresponsibly get away with multi-million pound pay offs and huge pensions, while the innocent victims are taxpayers, small and medium sized businesses who can’t get normal credit, and pensioners who’ve seen their investments destroyed.

Those bankers who have lent irresponsibly (and borrowed irresponsibly to do so) should be prosecuted or sued through whichever legal means will work to strip them of their personal gains. It’s not a case of simply getting retribution or apportioning too much blame to one party, but enshrining the principle that a director or a professional has real responsibility in return for the high salary and bonuses. It’s about protecting capitalism against pseudo-capitalists who ignore their duty to look after other people’s money in a professional way and act irresponsibly and unprofessionally for personal gain.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Some of the most affluent people in this world live on debt. There is no contradiction here at all. They are affluent as long as they can service that debt. If Richard Branson had to repay all of his debts right now, I bet he would struggle too because he would have to realise his assets at very low current valuations.
    That's very true - Also, peoples' lifestyles naturally expand to take account of extra income, even apparent income from rising house prices while that lasted.

I bet most permies becoming contractors go on a binge when the invoice payments first start rolling in, maybe not so much these days; but I know I did when I started contracting 10 years ago.

It looks like more than half, if not most, people admitting their debts on that savings site were caught out when their income suddenly took a dive.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can foresee a whole new arena for people to abdicate their responsibilies - people who were "missold a credit-card". If they cannot repay then the bank shouldn't have sold it to them.

Not only should the person then be excused from repaying their debt, they should get compensation for all the interest that they have already paid. Brilliant!

I agree with you. People who take on debt must take personal responsibility for that decision. To continually blame the banks is just a diversionary tactic by HMG to procure votes.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The banks ARE largely to blame. <snip> I’m not saying the bankrupt consumers should be compensated, but somehow the law needs to come crashing down on those in positions of ‘expertise’ and responsibility who have knowingly misled us all.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    A lot longer than the average hu-man...
    So that explains this

"the over 60s in Wales had one of the highest debt levels in the UK at £25,947."

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I remember ... 1976
    What is the average life expectancy of a lizard? You're clearly pushing the boundary

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    No. Were you trying?
    Not really. I mostly agree with your sentiments.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Is this all down to house prices again?

(e.g. are credit card debts secured on a house, which always rises in value. Never done it myself, except a mortgage)

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Never get married and you'll never get divorced. There's nothing wrong though with marrying when you're young as your wealth is produced by your partnership, so it is only fair to split 50/50. What I would resent is marrying at 50 and losing half of my hard-earned wealth within a few years to a moneygrabber who has contributed very little. The law at the moment unfortunately deters marriage in later life.

It is a very cold and lonely place inside your head.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Yeh, me too TBH. A trinity of foolishness, government, banks and consumers.

It's the Labour attempt to shift all blame to bankers upsets me: it's the politics of the morally bankrupt & it's very dangerous. Go look at 1930's Germany for similar.

.. but Labour always have been morally bankrupt. Remember the lies of 'we have no plans to raise taxes', 'no return to boom and bust', 'we will be whiter than white' etc. Then they proceed to outsleaze the Tories on a grand scale, fiddle expenses, teach sex to five year olds, etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    You won't find me disagreeing there.

Like debtors prison? I think it's a good thing we've moved on.
    Likewise, I don't want to disagree with you. But I know a couple who owe lots and have built up this debt knowing full well that they can always declare bankruptcy without any consequences other than a period of time where they can't get credit to buy more pointless carp.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    And they blame the banks and the government because it was their behaviour in lending all this money that signalled that it was ok, the norm, nothing to worry about.

And I think these people have a point.
    Yeh, me too TBH. A trinity of foolishness, government, banks and consumers.

It's the Labour attempt to shift all blame to bankers upsets me: it's the politics of the morally bankrupt & it's very dangerous. Go look at 1930's Germany for similar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X