• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Poll about Microsoft"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Give me a computer which is reliable and functions well then I care not as to the manufacturer OS etc

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    At home, I do not use any MS products at all, though I do have Fusion on my Mac for the odd time I might need to do or check something in Windows, but I'm even considering removing that now.

At work unfortunately, it's MS all the way. Can't wait for the day businesses move away from MS. It almost happened at a major Gov. organisation I used to work at, well at least they were thinking about an OpenOffice implementation rather than MS Office...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I have to use Microsoft browsers (IE 6, 7 and 8) simply to determine which of their many bugs I have to provide fixes for. That just means three XP VMs running under Parallels for a few minutes once or twice a week.

That's the only thing I ever use MS products for though. A few years ago I used to use things like Office out of necessity; but now the OSS alternatives are good enough that there's no reason to.

Oh, I also used to frequently fire up Windows solely to use the excellent free HTTP debugging proxy Fiddler (written by a Microsoft employee, though not strictly a Microsoft product); but I now use Charles, having happily paid the twenty quid or whatever it was for a full licence. That's an example of my choosing to pay for an application so as to avoid the inconvenience of running Windows just for the sake of a free application.

I still highly recommend Fiddler if you're already on Windows, though

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I have a XP desktop, zune mp3 player, xbox 360, vista laptop and XP laptop, windows mobile phone.

Their software maybe a bleedin trial at times but it does work well and better that anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Avoid Mac's on principle

(ooh, look, it's bright and shiny and has an Apple logo...<opens wallet> )

Avoid Linux and other hobbyist O/S's.

Hey, here is a wooden door, and some round wooden wheels, and here is a kit you can make axles from, and after countless hours buggering around, you can make a sort of car, and then all the people who hate Ford Motor Co can own their own wooden contraption car-things and feel all jolly smug and superior because they did it their way. Alternatively, you can just buy a car and it works.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    I am being held back by Quicken (I know there is an open source alternative, I just haven't got there yet) and DigiGuide.

Otherwise, I'd be all on Linux / OpenOffice.org / Firefox / ThunderBird / et al.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Tried that book recently. Read 150 pages and then gave up.
    i did the same thing... apparently, if you get past the first half, its really good... who could?!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Got through it all on the 2nd attempt - mainly due to cancelled flights
    Last edited by Pondlife; 18 March 2009, 12:02.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    As Joseph Heller said when told he had never written anything else as good as Catch-22: "Who has?"

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    If they released product that works every time and all the time, that would be wonderful.

However they don't
    As Joseph Heller said when told he had never written anything else as good as Catch-22: "Who has?"

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    They pretty much made computers accessible to the general public!

If they released product that works every time and all the time, that would be wonderful.

However they don't
    That's actually a good thing

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I wanted to vote for "pretty much use all MS stuff. Vista, Office you name it I use it", but like a lot of people I don't and won't use Vista.

So I went for Andyw.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    They pretty much made computers accessible to the general public!

However they don't

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    MS at work.

MAC OSX and linux at home.

I like and dislike *nix and windoze os's for different reasons.

MS have done some great stuff. Visual Studio 2008 is the best dev environment since sliced bread and generally the stuff they've done for productivity is spot on. MS is also the reason why I have work. It doesn't stop me moaning every now and then though.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Is this home or work?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X