• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Temporary broadband?"

Collapse

• rpgpgmr1
    replied
    try Vodafone mobile pay as you go broadband. 39 quid for modem and a few GB incl. Then 15 quid top ups . No contract no minimum useage . Check coverage area first though ( on the Vodafone site ).

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I suppose I am just the digital generation's version of the old men who stink of piss that sit about the library all day reading the papers. Except I don't stink off piss obviously.
    You stink of piss discretely?

Neat trick.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    A few years back we moved our offices and Zen allowed us to have broadband at both the old and the new place for a crossover period of a week. If you can't get something like that then a USB dongle is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    You could check if you are near a BT Open Zone

Get Wireless Broadband conection

http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The other option is that since we're moving into the very heart of Durham city centre, I could set up my laptop and work in various bars and coffee shops.

On the other hand, I think wireless broadband might cost less per day than buying 6 coffees...
    I head to my library a few times a week and use their broadband, some sites are banned though, betting ones in particular. Gets me out the house and you dont have to buy anything.

I suppose I am just the digital generation's version of the old men who stink of piss that sit about the library all day reading the papers. Except I don't stink off piss obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Try this !!

http://totalhotspots.com/search?iso_...ham&distance=2

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The other option is that since we're moving into the very heart of Durham city centre, I could set up my laptop and work in various bars and coffee shops.

On the other hand, I think wireless broadband might cost less per day than buying 6 coffees...
    I've been considering subscribing to BT-Fon. It allows you free access to wi-fi not just here in the UK, but in many places in the world (especially mainland Europe). Main benefit is if you move, you're able to latch on to local wi-fi whilst you get your home connection sorted.

EDIT: Ha, this may be the disadvantage:

Q: 512k is not very much. What's the point?

A: 512kbps is ample for most on-the-go use which tends to be email or general web browsing.

BT Fon

Has anyone any experience of using this?
    Last edited by MrMark; 17 March 2009, 19:04.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    As others have said get a USB dongle for 3G HSDPA - check coverage for the address first though - Here I can get Orange or Vodafone only.

I have a Vodafone dongle on contract for my laptop when at client co during the day anyway.

or do you have a 3G HSDPA capable phone you could use as a modem ?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You can buy a pay-as-you-go 3G dongle from the Carphone warehouse.

12GB of data costs £100. Rinse & repeat for as long as you need.
    That sounds quite reasonable, as long as we don't use iPlayer

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    You can buy a pay-as-you-go 3G dongle from the Carphone warehouse.

12GB of data costs £100. Rinse & repeat for as long as you need.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Ask the new neighbour if you can hook up to his in return for a bosh on the missus.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    How about mobile broadband?

http://http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband

This is NOT using a mobile phone for internet access - rather it is a USB dongle that connects to the mobile network and provides broadband.

Is cheap (£60 or so for the first month) and although not as fast as broadband can play youtube videos sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    replied
    near a starbucks?

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Can you not get a 3G laptop dongle thing that has been mentioned previous on CUK somewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X