• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary broadband?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about mobile broadband?

http://http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband

This is NOT using a mobile phone for internet access - rather it is a USB dongle that connects to the mobile network and provides broadband.

Is cheap (£60 or so for the first month) and although not as fast as broadband can play youtube videos sometimes.

Comment

Ask the new neighbour if you can hook up to his in return for a bosh on the missus.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

You can buy a pay-as-you-go 3G dongle from the Carphone warehouse.

12GB of data costs £100. Rinse & repeat for as long as you need.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          You can buy a pay-as-you-go 3G dongle from the Carphone warehouse.

12GB of data costs £100. Rinse & repeat for as long as you need.
          That sounds quite reasonable, as long as we don't use iPlayer
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As others have said get a USB dongle for 3G HSDPA - check coverage for the address first though - Here I can get Orange or Vodafone only.

I have a Vodafone dongle on contract for my laptop when at client co during the day anyway.

or do you have a 3G HSDPA capable phone you could use as a modem ?

Comment

The other option is that since we're moving into the very heart of Durham city centre, I could set up my laptop and work in various bars and coffee shops.

On the other hand, I think wireless broadband might cost less per day than buying 6 coffees...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The other option is that since we're moving into the very heart of Durham city centre, I could set up my laptop and work in various bars and coffee shops.

On the other hand, I think wireless broadband might cost less per day than buying 6 coffees...
                I've been considering subscribing to BT-Fon. It allows you free access to wi-fi not just here in the UK, but in many places in the world (especially mainland Europe). Main benefit is if you move, you're able to latch on to local wi-fi whilst you get your home connection sorted.

EDIT: Ha, this may be the disadvantage:

Q: 512k is not very much. What's the point?

A: 512kbps is ample for most on-the-go use which tends to be email or general web browsing.

BT Fon

Has anyone any experience of using this?
                Last edited by MrMark; 17 March 2009, 19:04.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Try this !!

http://totalhotspots.com/search?iso_...ham&distance=2

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I head to my library a few times a week and use their broadband, some sites are banned though, betting ones in particular. Gets me out the house and you dont have to buy anything.

I suppose I am just the digital generation's version of the old men who stink of piss that sit about the library all day reading the papers. Except I don't stink off piss obviously.

Comment

You could check if you are near a BT Open Zone

Get Wireless Broadband conection

http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X