• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "puzzle for the brain boxes"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    piss easy, wooden shoes.
    Do clogs really make you piss more easily?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    piss easy, wooden shoes.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I just wasted about 2 minutes of my life reading this thread. FFS.
    Says the person with a post count over 12K........
    Last edited by Pogle; 3 March 2009, 12:51. Reason: replaced Thread with post

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    hang on, i've got another one here somewhere, something about students, prisoners and electric shocks I think
    Can anyone think of one involving EO, electric shocks and testicles?

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    hang on, i've got another one here somewhere, something about students, prisoners and electric shocks I think
    * waits at the bottom of the class, mars bar in hand *

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Not rationalising, just pointing out that the supposed point was b*llocks

And I don't like Mars Bars anyway. I'd rather have a Curly Wurly

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    rationalising ad nauseum will not get you a coveted mars bar dave
    I didn't take part as I'm allergic to the chocolate on the Mars Bar, sorry your reward system failed in my case.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    invoiced Clientco for

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Not rationalising, just pointing out that the supposed point was b*llocks

And I don't like Mars Bars anyway. I'd rather have a Curly Wurly

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Touch the floor, get out, go to the pub.
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You're assuming that the majority of people will want to complete the (unspecified) challenge. I think there's a large rump of the population who'll just say 'sod that, I'm going down the pub/shooting some heroin/dogging/watching daytime TV'.
    See the answer I gave previously

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Not really, what it shows is that we are extremely risk averse. There is far more chance of failure due to failing and touching the floor with the 3rd solution than the second, which is riskier than the first. Since the first option presents the greatest chance of success we choose that one in the absence of other contraints such as time since there is no incentive for us to utilise a riskier solution.

If we had been time limited it would have produced a different result since although there is a greater chance of failure with solutions 2 and three failure is guarenteed if we do not stay within the time limit.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Not really, what it shows is that we are extremely risk averse. There is far more chance of failure due to failing and touching the floor with the 3rd solution than the second, which is riskier than the first. Since the first option presents the greatest chance of success we choose that one in the absence of other contraints such as time since there is no incentive for us to utilise a riskier solution.

If we had been time limited it would have produced a different result since although there is a greater chance of failure with solutions 2 and three failure is guarenteed if we do not stay within the time limit.
    You're assuming that the majority of people will want to complete the (unspecified) challenge. I think there's a large rump of the population who'll just say 'sod that, I'm going down the pub/shooting some heroin/dogging/watching daytime TV'.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Correct.

The bigD wins the last mars bar.

THE POINT.

what this thought experiment proves is this. The human brain will always try to utilise all of the resources available in order to solve a problem, even if there is a slicker and quicker answer. Even guys who are trained to look for simple solutions to problems (e.g. us lot) fall into the trap.

time to make two sandals - 4 minutes
    time to make one sandal - 2 minutes
    time to drag'n'jump - 30 seconds

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    FFS, can we burn the wood now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X