• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quantitative Easing"

Collapse

• M_B
    replied
    It worked for Japan.

....well........ it didn't lead to inflation because they were stuck in deflation. Bailing out the banks is what worked for Japan.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    If you want to see the results of quantitative easing just study the recent economic performance of Zimbabwe.
    I think they maybe approached it a bit more thoughtlessly, and to a greater extent, after all they were screwed (properly screwed not house-prices falling screwed) already. Germany's the other classic example but they also were in an extremely dire straits.

Maybe a limited QE can only result in limited cockups ... isn't the problem when they accelerate the process to try and pay off problems from the first batch?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    If you want to see the results of quantitative easing just study the recent economic performance of Zimbabwe.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I'm already short £. Wouldnt be suprised to see 1.35 level this week.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'm no expert, but my impression is that it's like a large snowball stuck on a steep snow-covered hillside.
    One of those two statements sound about right.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Pound holding up, or does it slide when they start.
    I'm no expert, but my impression is that it's like a large snowball stuck on a steep snow-covered hillside.

For now it's stuck in a rut and they're pushing against it as hard as they can to try and budge it. But as soon as it does start moving, it'll roll faster and faster and grow ever larger and soon they won't be able to stop it!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    We didn't need a wheelbarrow to buy a loaf when the credit boom ramped up.
    You did need to trade in a ferrari for a ex-council flat though.

QE and the credit boom, basically the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I reckon it will slide when we're carrying our loose change in a wheel-barrow.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Pound holding up, or does it slide when they start.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Good if you have debts and are paid in foreign currencies.

Bad if you have savings/pension pot and are paid in £££.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If it's Brown's (or Darling's) idea then it must be bad.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    started a topic Quantitative Easing

Quantitative Easing

QE to be started this week

good or bad ?

Working...
X