• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much real work do you do?"

Collapse

• PRC1964
    replied
    Plan B makes sure that my nose is not far from the grindstone for many hours a week at the moment.

However, I can report that as a result sales are 7% up on the same period last year despite any credit crunchiness my clients may be suffering. I had expected to maintain last years levels, so this is very good news.

If it carries on I'll have to hire more staff to free up my time.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I'm very busy now so I probably work a genuine 30 hours a week and book 42 to 45. Normal pace for me I guess would be about 15 to 20 hours a week genuine work. And I still get things done a lot quicker than the permatazoa!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by TCL View Post
    if you counted it all up, over your average week, we could be talking about minutes of actual work.

I think I've seen all of the internet. twice.

still, beats being a permie. that must suck dead donkeys.
    Twice?! I'm probably on my forth trip round the Internet.

Seriously I don't know how I do it. I seem to end up on gigs with nothing to do. And I'm good at doing nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh bloody hell, 360 degree reviews; that’s the 21st century answer to the Stasi. Nothing so effective for rewarding blind conformity and utter blandness as 360 degree reviews. Truly are Kafkaesque in their capacity to induce that gutwrenching combination of despondency and dread in their victims.

Thanks anyway, you’ve reminded me why I’d probably be happier working for myself running a kebab van in the pouring rain at a motorway service stop in Albania than going permie.
    You are very welcome. I don't often have to remind myself why I refuse to go permie. Too many bloody hoops to jump through.

Ironically enough, the point of 360 reviews in the past was to use the review score as a basis on which to reward yearly performance bonuses. But my client co has just invoved the chagrin of its total workforce by cancelling all bonuses this year - lol!!!!

I told my lot they should be grateful to have a job, let alone a bonus.

I think that point was maybe lost on them.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    No no Mich my lad. I have a mix of contractors and permies - the contractors do all get preferential treatment though. I even let some of them post on CUK during the day when all the permies are maxed out earning their paltry salaries and trying to get in my good books so they get decent 360 feedback reviews next week.
    Oh bloody hell, 360 degree reviews; that’s the 21st century answer to the Stasi. Nothing so effective for rewarding blind conformity and utter blandness as 360 degree reviews. Truly are Kafkaesque in their capacity to induce that gutwrenching combination of despondency and dread in their victims.

Thanks anyway, you’ve reminded me why I’d probably be happier working for myself running a kebab van in the pouring rain at a motorway service stop in Albania than going permie.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    permies
    No no Mich my lad. I have a mix of contractors and permies - the contractors do all get preferential treatment though. I even let some of them post on CUK during the day when all the permies are maxed out earning their paltry salaries and trying to get in my good books so they get decent 360 feedback reviews next week.

Leave a comment:

• TCL
    replied
    I bet you haven't seen this bit;
    Penultimate page of the internet
    OK, Now I've seen everything

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TCL View Post
    I bet you haven't seen this bit;
    Penultimate page of the internet

Leave a comment:

• TCL
    replied
    if you counted it all up, over your average week, we could be talking about minutes of actual work.

still, beats being a permie. that must suck dead donkeys.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    I'm paid heaps to get other people to do the actual work.

I just take the glory and occasionally pass down whatever scraps of gratitute I deem them worthy of.
    permies

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    I'm paid heaps to get other people to do the actual work.

I just take the glory and occasionally pass down whatever scraps of gratitute I deem them worthy of.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Almost none, ever.

I employ people to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I'm paid for what I know, not what I do.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    What is this 'work' you speak of.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Maybe. Do you think I care?
    You could be a spy.

Leave a comment:

Working...