• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "washing machine - repair or replace?"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Surely it's much easier to make sure that you have enough shirts so that there's always a clean one available

tim
    No, I prefer living dangerously with a high performance washing machine; just a bit more excitement in life, you see.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The most expensive washing machine in the world is the one that breaks down with no service cover the day before an interview for a big money contract when you need to wash your shirts. Thus, the sartorially educated contractor must purchase a Miele.
    Surely it's much easier to make sure that you have enough shirts so that there's always a clean one available

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by s2budd View Post
    Easy. If Miele then fix if not and cost to fix is > £50 then buy a Miele..
    I doubt you'll get a repairman to come to your house and open the door of a washing machine for much less than 100.

tim

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Or keep an emergency shirt

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    The most expensive washing machine in the world is the one that breaks down with no service cover the day before an interview for a big money contract when you need to wash your shirts. Thus, the sartorially educated contractor must purchase a Miele.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Buy as expensive a Miele as you can to get the build quality. Shop around on the web, we got a machine that was ~£1000 in Currys/Comet etc.. For £750 delivered on the t'interweb and it is built like the Bismarck!
    Not keen on that then - full of holes, rusting at the bottom of the sea and full of dead Germans. I'll stick with my LG one.

Leave a comment:

• TCL
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    and the kittens like to watch the washing going round in it

Our middle one (3 y/o) loves to stick her head in the drum and shout "Hello can you hear me, I am on the moon!" and other random tulip

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Buy as expensive a Miele as you can to get the build quality. Shop around on the web, we got a machine that was ~£1000 in Currys/Comet etc.. For £750 delivered on the t'interweb and it is built like the Bismarck!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Our Zannussi died recently ( after 8 years) and I plumped for a LG - I can wash a king size duvet in it so I'm happy. Also it has coloured flashing lights and plays a tune when its finished - Mr P thinks Its great and the kittens like to watch the washing going round in it
    Sounds like ours - what is good about it is it has a pipe which allows you to drain it without flooding everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Our Zannussi died recently ( after 8 years) and I plumped for a LG - I can wash a king size duvet in it so I'm happy. Also it has coloured flashing lights and plays a tune when its finished - Mr P thinks Its great and the kittens like to watch the washing going round in it

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Easy. If Miele then fix if not and cost to fix is > £50 then buy a Miele.
    Do a DIY check first though. It might be just a blocked pipe or something. Look in your instruction book or one on the web.
    Last edited by s2budd; 24 February 2009, 15:55.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Apologies in advance for the incredibly mundane nature of this thread - I appreciate that it's verging on Wilmslowesque.

Our 3.5 year old washing machine (Hotpoint) gave up half way through a cycle with a load of warning lights on the front and a small puddle of water underneath. Warning lights disappeared after switching off and back on, but I'm reluctant to try running another wash in case the puddle becomes something a little more severe.

Am tempted to sell it for a tenner on Ebay as faulty and buy a brand new one, but there's the obvious alternative of getting it repaired. Would appreciate any words of wisdom on which route to take and any things I need to bear in mind if I go down the repair route. I'm hopeless at anything DIY by the way so diagnosing and repairing the fault myself is out of the question!

I posted a similar question in similar circumstances. However it turned out the problem was only a blocked drain hose, meaning water couldn't be pumped out of the machine. Disconnected the drain hose from the piping under the kitchen sink and cleared the blockage with a chopstick, reconnected hose, problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Would it be longer than

Unplug machine, pull machine away from wall, find and unscrew the screws needed to open the machine and then work out how to open it?
    probably insert disclaimer here!

It should be...just thought i would give a heads up before someone got a p!$$er.

Finding out what is wrong with them usually involves trying to run them without the covers on though.
    Last edited by conned tractor; 24 February 2009, 14:22. Reason: Terrrrrible grammar

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Lick finger... touch floor with wet finger.... touch "large capaciter"....
    ZAP! FIZZ! POP!

Define:A short time = a little bit longer than the above.......
    Would it be longer than

Unplug machine, pull machine away from wall, find and unscrew the screws needed to open the machine and then work out how to open it?

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Lick finger... touch floor with wet finger.... touch "large capaciter"....
    ZAP! FIZZ! POP!

Define:A short time = a little bit longer than the above.......
    WHS + SOUND OF FILLING UNDERWEAR

It probably won't kill you anyhow......(disclaimer goes here).

Depends on size of cap, just don't put your hand straight on it. They usually position them right at the top - just where you are likely to rest your hand to lean in.

Minute or two should be more than enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X