• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interview

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    A good 'seeing to' in the stationery cupboard during the first week normally prevents this issue.
    Yes, a good rogering.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't agree. An up-themselves company will spend the whole time telling you how great they are, not let you do most of the talking.
    and regardless of the company an up-themselves interviewer often starts hogging the interview talking about themselves or the project in too much detail.

But if this goes on throughout then they aren't doing you any favours, because after the interview they'll realise they've learned little about you, or conclude that you're too feeble to have made any impression, and either way reject you.

So if an interviewer starts going off on a tangent or talking for too long, I gently but firmly butt in and get them back on what should be the main topic - me, and my past glorious achievements and advantages for the client

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Similarly insecure female managers try to chop your willy off, then out-butch yuo, as an alternative to waving what they haven't got.

hth
    A good 'seeing to' in the stationery cupboard during the first week normally prevents this issue.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Similarly insecure female managers try to chop your willy off, then out-butch yuo, as an alternative to waving what they haven't got.

hth

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    ....or manager willy-waving.
    My last three clients have been of the female persuasion. I wonder how they accomplished this? Presumably they didn't do it during office hours....

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    permiedoooom

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Top companies don't all muck around with pre-interview and in-depth interrogation. The fact is, and as any interviewer worth their salt should know, the decision is made within 10 minutes in the majority of interviews. When you've interviewed all the candidates you wanted to see, it's very rare that you've not got a favourite.

All the rest is just HR justifying it's existence, or manager willy-waving.

In twenty years in the industry, I've interviewed scores of contractors and dozens of permies.

Don't worry about, even in this climate, they're most likely a company you don't want to work for anyway. And the dry mouth and mind going blank are simply your immune system kicking in, defending you against the threat of permiedom.

Leave a comment:

• framework
    replied
    Had the same type of interview last thursday.

Just seemed like a kind of informal chat, what is your current rate?
    how much notice do you need to give?
    are you interested in the role?

what i thought was weird was that the only notes they took was when i told them the rate i was on in my current role.
    Surely if you were interviewing a load of candidates you would be taking notes!!

went pretty well i thought, with the conversation and questions flowing both ways, but i still haven't heard anything.

Spoke to the agent and they said that co HR haven't spoken to the manager concerned,
    i smell a rat i think, hopefully it hasn't been a wasted journey (300 mile round trip) but we will see.

i have every sympathy with your situation

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Dont worry we all have tulip interviews. I remember a couple of times I've had a crap interview, whereby I wasnt really up to it. Got offered the job both times and turned it down.

Sometimes you just dont know. But least the good thing is you know what does and what doesnt work for you.

Learning experience.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    I should really know the answer to this but I don't, but what are the implications of this exactly?
    I have learned a lot this week.

Baaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyysickly, if you do not insist on "opting out" of the Emplyment Agency Act before you are put forward, you are opted in. Its up to you as to whether you want to opt in or out, but I prefer out as I like to steer as far away from IR35 as possible.

Opting in means you get protection, and if the agency does not get paid they still have to pay you. Also they can slap on handcuff clauses and get a sum for you if you go perm with ClientCo in the end.

If you opt out, you have no protection and are liable for your own work etc etc. Opting out is only a "minor" indication of being IR35 out, but it all helps.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    Sounds like they think a lot of themselves, you're probably better off not working there.
    Don't agree. An up-themselves company will spend the whole time telling you how great they are, not let you do most of the talking.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    of course not!

I sounded like an agent asking there

my next guess would be MS or Google though!
    I think if I keep saying yes OR no eventually word would be out on the street.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    of course not!

I sounded like an agent asking there

my next guess would be MS or Google though!

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Was this Accenture or Avanade?
    Nope neither of those. I'd rather not say if that's ok, just the world isn't as big a place I once thought etc.. big company though turning over billions.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Sounds like a permie interveiw i had at the council a while back, 3 people in a tiny office and was for a technical role. They started with all the technical questions, no probs, then they started asking me loads about project management, which was not advertised or included in my CV and i know very little about, and I basicaly fell apart from there.

Normally i'm good at interveiws, in that if i get an interveiw i get the job, but this time i was very nervous, possibly because i hated my then current job and wanted to get out! I was sweating, stammering, all sorts of tulip, was horrible! Normally I'd just sit there and wax lyrical about how great I am, and how i manage to turn my weaknesses into advantages; much like the jesus of IT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X