• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Domino's does Halal"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    ... Dawkins does make a good point, that we may be too complacent about creationists and about religion invading the lives of those who don't want it.
    Oh yes. But it'd be better if he stoop to their level of argument. He really should know better.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's easy to tell.

<rant on>Dawkins is to religion what your average creationist is to evolution. Both irritate me intensely when pontificating on subjects that neither of them understand. Both present a stereotyped, inaccurate and caricatured version of the object of their opprobrium, and vilify the supporters.<rant off>
    That has its truth, as a rant, but Dawkins does make a good point, that we may be too complacent about creationists and about religion invading the lives of those who don't want it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I am an avid reader of anything that the great professor scribbles.
    It's easy to tell.

<rant on>Dawkins is to religion what your average creationist is to evolution. Both irritate me intensely when pontificating on subjects that neither of them understand. Both present a stereotyped, inaccurate and caricatured version of the object of their opprobrium, and vilify the supporters.<rant off>

Apart from that he's written some splendid works on evolutionary biology.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Has anyone else got "me and me mam and me dad and me gran are off to Waterloo, me and me mam and me dad and me gran ad a bucket of vindaloo...vindaloo...vindaloo....vindaloo, vindaloo la la..etc" stuck in their heads?!!!!

not me

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Another Muslim thread with an increased humour rating thanks to the "disgusted of CUK" brigade.

Some of you lot need to stop reading the Daily Mail so often and chill out
    And all I did was mention that Domino's did Halal. Sorry... will try not to do it again.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Another Muslim thread with an increased humour rating thanks to the "disgusted of CUK" brigade.

Some of you lot need to stop reading the Daily Mail so often and chill out

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    http://www.halalfoodauthority.co.uk/meals.htm

The contractor must ensure all halal meat is cut, portioned and prepared by or provided under strict supervision of a Muslim worker
    Could this be an opportunity for some of our benched friends?

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Edit: *Must learn not to reply to posts on page one, when the topic is currently on page eight*.
    Last edited by SizeZero; 12 February 2009, 17:38.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    And I bet that you didn't know that Lasagne is actually an English dish in origin, apparently (according to German TV anyway)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasagne

The recipe was featured in the first cookbook ever written in England, leading to an urban legend that the dish originated in the British Isles. The claim is dubious, in light of the much earlier Roman use of "lasanum".
    However, Crême Brûlée was invented by an Englishman.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I thought vindaloo came from the Portuguese ex-colony of Goa?
    Not really, it came from the Portuguese. Portuguese sailors took "Carne de Vinha d' Alhos" (meat in wine and garlic) to Goa and it was developed there into Vindalho, with the addition of a lot more spices and usually of vinegar to preserve it better, and potatoes to pad it out and reduce the fieriness.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That's how it got to India. Not sure if it was made in Portugal with the same spices beforehand.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Has anyone else got "me and me mam and me dad and me gran are off to Waterloo, me and me mam and me dad and me gran ad a bucket of vindaloo...vindaloo...vindaloo....vindaloo, vindaloo la la..etc" stuck in their heads?!!!!

Well, I didn't

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And I bet that you didn't know that Lasagne is actually an English dish in origin, apparently (according to German TV anyway)

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Even though the original vindaloo (which came from Portugal) was a pork dish.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Spot the dawkins reader.
    I am an avid reader of anything that the great professor scribbles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X