• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big 4x4 - seven seats"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I walked past my 2 4x4s in a pair of Meindl boots this week.

Fortunately my current gig is only a couple of miles away.

I could drive on the ungritted unsalted roads around here
    if they weren't all closed with jack-knifed lorries.

This weekend I've ventured out and I do love my 4x4.

This year we've had snow and ice, the previous 2 years we've had floods where I've had to drive through water lapping over th bonnet.

My old 88" (short wheel base) 1971 Series III is a 7 seater.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    I just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee for £3000 on a 52 plate fully loaded with all those nice fiddly electric bits that men like. Full history and only 60k on the clock.

Was going to go for a Freelander TD4 but the quality of the Jeep puts it to shame, and it was cheaper.
    Looking at one of these - as said already, something throw the muddy dogs in the back, and to use on hoildays in this country ( and 2 muddy kids) but still half decent.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Been through this last year, and there are only a few cars out there that are any good

Audi Q7
    Volvo XC90
    Mitsu LWB Shogun
    Land rover Discovery

They are all ok although the ride quality of the Audi was pretty untouchable. Only trouble was I wasn't prepared to spend 30K on a second hand one only to shove my muddy greyhounds In the back. The other problem was that when you use the seven seats you don't really have 7 seats worth of luggage space so muggins would end up on steps trying to load a roof box...

In the end I binned the extra seats and went for a y reg Range Rover Vogue V8. It's immune from silly tax and cost pocket money and for a few quid gets an LPG conversion that will pay back quite fast and then I can drive my chokey old git panzer through the CC zone for free

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What fits the bill? Looking for something to beat this snow caused by Global Warming.

Big, brash, 7 seats.

Any price.
    Land Rover Disco 3

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    I just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee for £3000 on a 52 plate fully loaded with all those nice fiddly electric bits that men like. Full history and only 60k on the clock.

Was going to go for a Freelander TD4 but the quality of the Jeep puts it to shame, and it was cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I love they start with the BMW, it's all over the place, and one can imagine that's with a good driver. They are really the epitome of crapidity when it comes to any surface except perfectly dry tarmac.
    No problems with mine in the snow admittedly I do have winter tyres on. In fact its better than the AMG was and its more powerful. I personally wouldn't like a small car like the 2CV because if the snow is too deep, the car is too light and will just sit on top and go nowhere, seen it many a time. However because its so light you can just pick it up and carry it under your arm. Any car is okay in the snow as long as you're used to driving in snow. The best one we ever had was an 88" wheelbase Landrover which we cut an extra 8 inches out the middle to make it an 80" (as they were only made for the army.) Had great fun towing tractors, 4x4s and police out of the snow one year. Try an Austin Scamp

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Volvo XC90.
    No contest. Anything else is for girls, or boys who like wearing frilly clothes.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    My BMW's are completely buggered by a few inches of snow. Traction control on or off they can't move even a few feet on a level surface.
    Top tip; rope two BMWs together back to back for better roadholding in snow.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I love they start with the BMW, it's all over the place, and one can imagine that's with a good driver. They are really the epitome of crapidity when it comes to any surface except perfectly dry tarmac.
    My BMW's are completely buggered by a few inches of snow. Traction control on or off they can't move even a few feet on a level surface.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Audi A6 Allroad, there's a video on Youtube showing one bombing up a hill in snow.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Volvo XC90.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Audi A6 Allroad, there's a video on Youtube showing one bombing up a hill in snow.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
    for that you need this Linky
    Hah, you could sort out a few traffic wardens (or in Labourspeak, Community Enforcement Officers) with that.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Everybody should be on winter tyres in the winter anyway: the Brits don't seem to have caught on to this yet but everybody else has (why am I sighing, "again"?).

Beyond that, a 4x4 will only serve to get you more irretrievably stuck than you would be without it.
    Nah I'm on Bridgestone Potenza's with the wear markers showing... more fun that way.

I'm getting some new ones in the morning after a few scary moments this morning though.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Everybody should be on winter tyres in the winter anyway: the Brits don't seem to have caught on to this yet but everybody else has (why am I sighing, "again"?).
    Nah, you can easily survive on normal tyres and snow socks when the weather is this bad...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X