• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microsoft shedding jobs"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I can't think of any other reason, everything else they could replicate easily, and were well into the process of doing so, well apart from the secure email system, and they appear to have sat on that.
    that's a big part of what MS do....buy other companies to get a leg up in market share

I wonder what this redundancy announcement would have been like if they had actually bought Yahoo

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    So they bought Navision as a future jobs related bargaining tool for future lawsuits in Europe? they really are an evil genius!
    I saw Balmer give a presentation at the IOD once - he was bragging about how many people they fire in a normal year. Seems like the septic way to cut costs.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I don't quickly recommend another tester, but this guy is seriously worth listening to.
    Wow - cool!! Can you recommend any of his books? What about 'My Life as a tester' or, 'The tester's bedside companion'.

Back to the point, there's only going to be around 60 UK based jobs to go...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    So they bought Navision as a future jobs related bargaining tool for future lawsuits in Europe? they really are an evil genius!
    I can't think of any other reason, everything else they could replicate easily, and were well into the process of doing so, well apart from the secure email system, and they appear to have sat on that.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Although, to be fair, MS have what must be the most highly accomplished team of testers in the world. Given the combination of deployed platforms (at various levels of upgrade), the enormous number of different locales and languages, and the preposterous number of possible hardware combinations that they have to support, they actually do an astonishingly impressive job when it comes to testing, and deserve kudos for it

In fact, they do such a good job that I'll resist the temptation of making cheap jibes about testing turds and so forth. Whatever one thinks of the quality of Microsoft's products, they put an enormous investment of both human and financial capital into testing.

If I ever found myself on a project where testing was the responsibility of somebody who had previously had such responsibility at Microsoft, I would be delighted. I hope they would also be delighted to find that I gave them something good to work with, rather than a crock of tulip.

Ah hell, I fell at the last hurdle there in my attempts to praise MS

But joking aside, I do have enormous respect for Microsoft's QA people. Their task is unimaginably complex, and they do it well.
    Indeed. If you look at the amount of functionality that has to be tested in a short time and the near impossibility of measuring code coverage, their testing effort is astonishingly effective. One guy who has done quite a lot of work there is James Bach who is one of the leading figures in exploratory testing (not a security tester it seems though). Worthwhile reading for others too, especially if you look at his blog and read what he says about ISTQB certification (which I have, but don't rate highly except if I'm going for interview), 'best practises' and CMMi.

I don't quickly recommend another tester, but this guy is seriously worth listening to.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Actually it's probably a combination of other things.

Now Obama is in power, and the increasing interest in certain regulatory rules due in part also to the credit crunch, coming into play, M$ probably won't be allowed to get away with some of their interesting accountancy practices. Hence M$ is being proactive now at putting their house in a little more order.

Also, as one of M$'s biggest development centres is in Denmark, this could be seen as a way of putting pressure on the Danish government to try and get them to play ball on the latest EU thing kicking off against M$.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Big Blue to the Rescue !

Good Old IBM !

IBM's latest quarterly profits rose 12% and the technology services firm issued a rosy forecast for 2009 - a rare ray of light for the gloomy tech sector.

IBM believes it can benefit as cash-strapped companies seek its help to cut costs and improve IT infrastructure.

The firm has also been able to cut its own costs sharply.

IBM's net profit in the fourth quarter rose 12% from a year earlier to $4.4bn. IBM boss Samuel Palmisano said it had been an "outstanding year".

IBM said it expected to earn $9.20 per share in 2009 - significantly more than analysts had expected.

"To be honest, I didn't believe they could show something like this - I think the results they posted were stellar," said Peter Misek, an analyst with Canaccord Adams.

"They just executed really well - really, really, really well."

IBM's profit margin was 47.9%, up three percentage points from a year earlier.

The news boosted IBM's share price. In after-hours trading in New York, it climbed 4.5% to $85.64.

Other technology firms have fared less well.

Intel reported a sharp 90% profit drop in the final quarter of 2008, while Bloomberg said it could report its first loss for more than two decades in the current quarter.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Actually it's probably a combination of other things.

Now Obama is in power, and the increasing interest in certain regulatory rules due in part also to the credit crunch, coming into play, M$ probably won't be allowed to get away with some of their interesting accountancy practices. Hence M$ is being proactive now at putting their house in a little more order.

Also, as one of M$'s biggest development centres is in Denmark, this could be seen as a way of putting pressure on the Danish government to try and get them to play ball on the latest EU thing kicking off against M$.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Will they all be product testers, afterall, they've shown they've no need for them in the past?

Although, to be fair, MS have what must be the most highly accomplished team of testers in the world. Given the combination of deployed platforms (at various levels of upgrade), the enormous number of different locales and languages, and the preposterous number of possible hardware combinations that they have to support, they actually do an astonishingly impressive job when it comes to testing, and deserve kudos for it

In fact, they do such a good job that I'll resist the temptation of making cheap jibes about testing turds and so forth. Whatever one thinks of the quality of Microsoft's products, they put an enormous investment of both human and financial capital into testing.

If I ever found myself on a project where testing was the responsibility of somebody who had previously had such responsibility at Microsoft, I would be delighted. I hope they would also be delighted to find that I gave them something good to work with, rather than a crock of tulip.

Ah hell, I fell at the last hurdle there in my attempts to praise MS

But joking aside, I do have enormous respect for Microsoft's QA people. Their task is unimaginably complex, and they do it well.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Sounds like a Mac victory
    XP does everything I want.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Sounds like a Mac victory

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    They are in doodoo because Vista was/is so tulip.

Corporations are vista averse, they are patiently waiting on WIndows7, to see if it offers any value over XP.

lets face it, not much demand for Vista features in the corporate desktop worlkd is there.
    Apparently some people like Vista. Not me though. I had it for three months and dumped it.

I've bought two machines in the last year or so, and luckily Dell have an XP option by popular demand.

WTF were Microsoft thinking of?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Will they all be product testers, afterall, they've shown they've no need for them in the past?
    What a poignantly accurate yet totally hilariously original comment.

I'd bet MS have testing policies as pedantic as any company... but I've never seen a system where bugs won't appear even after the most demandingly thorough testing. And when you're MS, you have MILLIONS of IT-ignorant users doing the most stupid things to your software... it's a coder's nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I thought Jobs worked for Apple

Leave a comment:

Working...
X