• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The doomiest doom of all doomdom"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    scary thing is, as the pound devalues so the debts get even bigger.

The British government faces an excruciating choice. It cannot let Royal Bank of Scotland and its fellow mega-banks go to the wall. Yet it risks being swamped by the massive foreign debts of these lenders if it takes on their dollar, euro and yen exposure by opting for full nationalisation.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Interesting how the current news brings out the worst of vermin from the woodwork out there or even the deserters from this site - this is a comment from todays Guardian

This is a dream come true.

I can't wait to see Britain go under water.

All those atrocities committed in India.

How many bombs did UK supply Israel to kill so many palestinians,Lebanese,etc..

Next in the list is Spain,US,Germany,France then Korea,Japan,etc..

The western civilization is so arrogant that they thought they will never the dark nights. here it is folks.
    Enjoy.
    You will need a good blanket because you will be out in the streets with no heating gas at home since you didn't pay your bills because you don't have a job.
    Run fast to WoolWorth...Oops. i just realized they went out of business.
    I read that. It was signed with an Indian name. OTOH it could have been written by a BNP member......

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Interesting how the current news brings out the worst of vermin from the woodwork out there or even the deserters from this site - this is a comment from todays Guardian

This is a dream come true.

I can't wait to see Britain go under water.

All those atrocities committed in India.

How many bombs did UK supply Israel to kill so many palestinians,Lebanese,etc..

Next in the list is Spain,US,Germany,France then Korea,Japan,etc..

The western civilization is so arrogant that they thought they will never the dark nights. here it is folks.
    Enjoy.
    You will need a good blanket because you will be out in the streets with no heating gas at home since you didn't pay your bills because you don't have a job.
    Run fast to WoolWorth...Oops. i just realized they went out of business.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    OK We're in the midst of a Recession and heading towards a Severe Recession.

There will be people that lose their jobs, there will be business's that go bust.

But, the prediction is a loss of 5% maximum GDP. This will not affect all of us, infact it won't affect the majority of us on a day to day basis. Some of us are actually better off than we were before from a reduction in our mortgages rate and a smidgen off products through a reduction in VAT.

My point being, the thing most likely to hurry along every new economic downturn is a lack of confidence.

The more we discuss every piece of bad news, every drop of 0.01% in exchange rate, every 0.1p drop in share price, the less confident we will all feel, thereby talking ourselves into a deeper recession.
    Yeah right, it's just a bit of negative gossip.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...ft-option.html

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    OK We're in the midst of a Recession and heading towards a Severe Recession.

There will be people that lose their jobs, there will be business's that go bust.

But, the prediction is a loss of 5% maximum GDP. This will not affect all of us, infact it won't affect the majority of us on a day to day basis. Some of us are actually better off than we were before from a reduction in our mortgages rate and a smidgen off products through a reduction in VAT.

My point being, the thing most likely to hurry along every new economic downturn is a lack of confidence.

The more we discuss every piece of bad news, every drop of 0.01% in exchange rate, every 0.1p drop in share price, the less confident we will all feel, thereby talking ourselves into a deeper recession.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Frightened?

As I have said on other threads, the downward forces on the dollar and the euro are just as strong as those on the pound, if not stronger. Wait for the run on those two currencies to kick off - you'll feel much brighter.
    incorrect.

USD and EUR are reserve currencies in many places GBP is not.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    Putting it in both simple and accurate terms - we do not produce enough value of goods and services to support our current lifestyles
    True. But a deeper reality is that everything we do is ultimately linked to energy use. And we don't own or produce that for ourselves either.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    What I find frightening abnout the current situation is that my working life spans recessions in the 70's 80's and 90's but I've never seen anything deflate so quickly both in the UK and the rest of the world. Businesses that withstood the other recessions are going to the wall. Manufacturing in the UK is now less than 12% of national GDP and shrinking. What was left was fit and lean (mainly) but it has crashed just like all the other sectors. Manufacturing capacity that is lost in the UK will never come back, spare capacity will be utilised first or new plant will be erected in lower cost countries. The illusion that financial services can support the entire economy has been blown away. Probably for good. Where does the UK now turn to generate wealth? The UK is effectively bankrupt and I find the prospect pretty scary.
    Another great post here from cynicus which summarises some of his earlier stuff
    http://cynicuseconomicus.blogspot.com/

In the newspapers we can read endless reports about the 'financial crisis', which is of itself a misnomer. This is not a financial crisis, but an economic crisis, of which the banking system failures are just one symptom. Throughout this blog I have kept in mind very simple principles and applied them to the state of the world economy. I realised that the key to all of the problems is that the world had entered a period of hyper-competition. The world had changed, and countries like the UK and US complacently stood still, resting on their laurels, with no real attempt to adapt to the changes in the world.

Instead of adaptation, instead of confronting change, we have seen ever greater attempts to bury the reality that underlies this crisis. The reality is that many of the countries in the West, and I refer in particular to the US and UK, are unfit for the competition. Putting it in both simple and accurate terms - we do not produce enough value of goods and services to support our current lifestyles.
    I wonder how long before gilts lose AAA grading?
    Events in Ireland could prove to be a catalyst that spreads to the UK.
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 21 January 2009, 08:51.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I'll stick to my earlier prediction that interest rates will be going back up quite sharply at some stage to protect the pound. It'll probably be timed perfectly to coincide with the peak unemployment and work wonders for the housing market.

My biggest problem is the idiots who presided over getting us in this mess are still in charge and trying to save their necks with even more reckless behaviour. We need a big clear out of Nuliebour, Mervyn King and his cronies and the people at the head of the major banks.
    Gordon's hands are tied. I dont think rates can go up for these reasons:

He needs to free up credit, so cant raise rates. However, the banks are greedy pigs with their snouts in the trough, so just keep on lapping up his bailouts without sharing (i.e. cheaper mortgages)

He wont want to hurt the consumer any more than he has, another reason not to raise rates.

We also have a long way to go to match the low interest rate in the US.

Meanwhile, the UK and pound have lost investor confidence because El Gordo has started the printing presses to magic some more money as no-one will lend him any. This has diluted the value of the £. Rates usually drive a currencies value. Wonder if the opposite is true

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    The £ is heading to the 2001 lows as we speak. Thats the real indicator of how bad things are.
    I'll stick to my earlier prediction that interest rates will be going back up quite sharply at some stage to protect the pound. It'll probably be timed perfectly to coincide with the peak unemployment and work wonders for the housing market.

My biggest problem is the idiots who presided over getting us in this mess are still in charge and trying to save their necks with even more reckless behaviour. We need a big clear out of Nuliebour, Mervyn King and his cronies and the people at the head of the major banks.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    According to Mervyn King we are not there yet! Though I don't believe him for some reason....

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5556024.ece

The Bank of England's Governor paved the way last night to unleash the weapon of “printing money” in a last-ditch drive to combat the rapidly deepening recession.
    Mervyn King is the last person (maybe apart from Gordon Brown) who I would ask "are we in a disastrous recession?"

The £ is heading to the 2001 lows as we speak. Thats the real indicator of how bad things are.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    What I find frightening abnout the current situation is that my working life spans recessions in the 70's 80's and 90's but I've never seen anything deflate so quickly both in the UK and the rest of the world. Businesses that withstood the other recessions are going to the wall. Manufacturing in the UK is now less than 12% of national GDP and shrinking. What was left was fit and lean (mainly) but it has crashed just like all the other sectors. Manufacturing capacity that is lost in the UK will never come back, spare capacity will be utilised first or new plant will be erected in lower cost countries. The illusion that financial services can support the entire economy has been blown away. Probably for good. Where does the UK now turn to generate wealth? The UK is effectively bankrupt and I find the prospect pretty scary.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    I would go for the severe recession prediction.

Were printing money now. Hence, the UK is not worth the paper its printed on.
    According to Mervyn King we are not there yet! Though I don't believe him for some reason....

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5556024.ece

The Bank of England's Governor paved the way last night to unleash the weapon of “printing money” in a last-ditch drive to combat the rapidly deepening recession.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You mean I can't do an atw : make several predictions and only remember the ones that came true?

Maybe in my other post I should have said severe recession......
    I would go for the severe recession prediction.

Were printing money now. Hence, the UK is not worth the paper its printed on.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by basshead View Post
    Make your mind up
    You mean I can't do an atw : make several predictions and only remember the ones that came true?

Maybe in my other post I should have said severe recession......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X