• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big Chef Little Chef"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    White pudding very common in Ireland.

Though some of the brands tend to go a little too heavy on the oatmeal.

You can get a black pudding with a white pudding centre.

Though some of the black pudding I've had here in the UK is pretty nice.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It is basically Black Pudding without the blood.
    It’s made from anemic pigs, popular somewhere in France no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    White pudding is something we have at home.... I have no idea what is in it and I don't want to either... but it's nice for brekkie
    It is basically Black Pudding without the blood.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Has anyone tried white pudding? If I understand correctly it's like a veggie version, with suet and fruit or some such.

I like black pudding. But then I also like Lidl square sausage.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Has anyone tried white pudding? If I understand correctly it's like a veggie version, with suet and fruit or some such.

White pudding is something we have at home.... I have no idea what is in it and I don't want to either... but it's nice for brekkie

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The teenager strop was hilarious, "I want the breakfast in erm 5 yeah 5 little chefs by erm let me think, 3 weeks, yeah 3 weeks" ....

"No!?, right that's it I'm not playing now I'm out of here"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    It depends what sort you get. The stuff they make in Bury is horrible. The stuff from Ireland and Scotland is nice - quite spicy and not full of fat like Bury black pudding. However it is essentially pig scabs at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    It depends what sort you get. The stuff they make in Bury is horrible. The stuff from Ireland and Scotland is nice - quite spicy and not full of fat like Bury black pudding. However it is essentially pig scabs at the end of the day.
    http://www.ramsayofcarluke.co.uk/

these are the black puddings that Heston uses.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Kangaroo
    replied
    Scripted? You bet!

At 9:45, b4 the last commercial break we had the bint they brought in have a panic attack - and after the break all is well - and we are all set up for ep3. My prediction is that all will end up happy - and both Heston and that f-*kwit from Little Chef will get the marketing they wanted.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    BTW, black pudding was brought over by the romans (and is horrible).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    In the end, this is all about publicity for little thief!
    Which is exactly what Heston had a big strop about in episode 2, and made me think it's perhaps not scripted. To me, the CEO is simply hopeless, Heston is a little out of touch but recovers well and seems a nice guy, and his chefs are the ones most likely to alienate everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Little thief not exactly renowned for its gastronomic delights.

How many of us have eaten there and vowed not to bother stopping at one on a long journey ever again?

Olympic breakfast is all well and good but the problem is they are going for quantity and not quality.
    The food is "cooked" (a very loose term, in this case) by people who know nothing about food.

But what do you expect, this is high volume, high profit, cheap quality, get them in the door and get them out quick.

They haven't realised that people will come back if you pay a few pence more on the initial ingredients and improve quality.

I know motorway burger vans that serve free range food from local farms for less money!!!

In the end, this is all about publicity for little thief!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Watched the first episode Monday.

CEO came across terribly but I suspect he had a deliberately bad edit.

Heston had a good edit but he totally didn't get it. Did he really think people would eat oysters and lamb tongue because some historical recipe says it is traditional. A curry is much more authentically British to real people than that will ever be.

It remind me a bit of IT departments. You have CEO with his grand, out of touch schemes and catchphrases, but behind it all only cares (rightly) about profit.

The external consultants with their flash ideas and CVs who completely fail to understand what will work.

The local employees, who are never going to be celebrity chefs and may be stuck in a bit of a rut, but do understand the business and what works.

He needs to respect the local staff, work with them to actually make a real improvement that people want not what he thinks people should want based on his own tastes.

He needs to hive the business off into a franchise scheme.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Runs a restaurant called the "fat pig". Reckoned by some to be the best restaurant in the world. Has a 3 star Michelin rating (they are like rocking horse tulip).
    Fat Duck.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    You northerners make me me laugh, do you have baked beans with everything, like that old woman last night who liked them with a roast dinner, no doubt sipping cups of tea at the same time.

Baked beans should NOT be in the Great British breakfast, they are a cop out for poverty stricken crap cafes to bulk out and ruin the breakfast to feed imbeciles.
    Tomatoes and mushrooms are great, but baked beans? Jesus, no wonder this country is in such a state. Surely a bit of black pudding is enough to get Northerners on board?
    I think you'll find that people with a prediliction for "Baked Beans" like them because of their sweetness. Try removing the sugar and then watch the sales plummet.

With regards to your "black pudding" statement, you're way out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X