• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ufo

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ufo"

Collapse

• mailric
    replied
    superman's plssed.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I've just had a quick butchers at a turbine safety and amongst what's discussed are vibration sensors.

One of the classical, and most simple safety devices in a wind turbine is the vibration sensor in the image above, which was first installed in the Gedser wind turbine. It simply consists of a ball resting on a ring. The ball is connected to a switch through a chain. If the turbine starts shaking, the ball will fall off the ring and switch the turbine off.
    http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wtrb/safety.htm
    It's just a ball sitting in a socket. Got to love that simplicity

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Someone threw a Ginster's pie at it

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

Fook me, thats just like some of my code.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Something obviously hit the fan.

My guess is a Giant Flying Turd.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I bet the UFO supporters are the same people sending texts to 'Most Haunted Live'...

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    These things do break

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtm...eature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-cRu...eature=related

and catch fire

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4HQv...eature=related
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 8 January 2009, 16:35.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    That's one helluva bird.

Heard someone on R4 this morning speculating it was falling ice from a passenger jet, which struck the blade and subsequently melted, leaving no trace. Apparently this happens a lot in cold weather. Be careful out there.
    Blue Ice

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I reckon Global Warming melted the blades.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Birdstrike.
    That's one helluva bird.

Heard someone on R4 this morning speculating it was falling ice from a passenger jet, which struck the blade and subsequently melted, leaving no trace. Apparently this happens a lot in cold weather. Be careful out there.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Nobody has considered that a ghost might have done it, using a blast of his supernatural ectoplasm energy.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    So the spacemen were distracted by the pyrotechnics and their path inadvertently took them into a windmill.
    Either that or the people claiming to be holding a fireworks display are secret agents that have been monitoring and have been in communication with the dozy aliens for years. They also have a dead one that was obtained from another windmill collision.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    UFOs aren’t really the place to start when investigating failures.
    Shhh... That's been my excuse for failures at ClientCo for months.....

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The bangs and lights have already been identified as a firework display going on nearby.
    So the spacemen were distracted by the pyrotechnics and their path inadvertently took them into a windmill.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Well, 1st blade falls off because it wasn't bolted on correctly, the emergency brakes slam on to stop the thing falling completely to pieces (or vica versa), a remaining blade breaks and comes to rest with the broken blade pointing in the direction of travel because of momentum taking it there.

Lots of bangs and showers of sparks during the episode. If anyone had watched it, and it was dark enough, the blades will have glowed blue too.
    The bangs and lights have already been identified as a firework display going on nearby.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X