• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Barclays cutting IT jobs"

Collapse

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    People in glass houses...
    Oh dear!

It is called the "serial" or "Oxford" comma.

I wouldn't expect someone who went to a comprehensive to understand all the rules for the comma. Also I wouldn't expect them to know their place either. Yet you've just been put in it.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Barcap is known as 'the revolving door' in most I.T. city circles. Ask around if you don't believe me.

High IT staff turn over, very difficult place to get into in terms of the investment bank I.T. arm.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Plenty of time to work on your spelling, grammar*,* and punctuation then.
    People in glass houses...

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Many of the job losses are in their Cheshire base, which I've heard is just some back office place full of tape changers.
    It's the biggest Barclays site I believe?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Many of the job losses are in their Cheshire base, which I've heard is just some back office place full of tape changers.
    Oh dear, poor milan.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    250 IT contractor positions is a lot , particularly when there are only a handful of contracts being offered in the City these days.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    LONDON, Jan 7 (Reuters) - British bank Barclays Plc (BARC.L) is to cut just over 400 jobs in its UK technology departments, it said on Wednesday.

Barclays said a review of its IT operations will see about 158 permanent staff and 250 contractor positions go, mainly in Cheshire and London.
    I thought that had been common knowledge for a while now, or maybe this is 'another' cull. They will all be rehired in a few months anyway surely.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Plenty of time to work on your spelling, grammar, and punctuation then.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Cheers !

I think I'm on the way out was supposed to run till end of April, not to bothered though, my piggy bank is full and I could do with a 6 month lie in
    Plenty of time to work on your spelling, grammar, and punctuation then.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Only ******* work there anyway so no need to worry about extra competition from the bench.
    Cheers !

I think I'm on the way out was supposed to run till end of April, not to bothered though, my piggy bank is full and I could do with a 6 month lie in

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Hmm... oh dear.

This is just the beginning. Barcap and HSBC just canned a few 'critical' projects too. Watch those 'business critical IT programmes' fall like houses of cards. Again.
    Watch them all come back with the new regulatory frameworks.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Hmm... oh dear.

This is just the beginning. Barcap and HSBC just canned a few 'critical' projects too. Watch those 'business critical IT programmes' fall like houses of cards. Again.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    At a 20% higher rate.

BOOMED

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    So why announce it on national radio..... must be serious

Must be a news story about the recession - lets fan the flames.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X