• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying a Dog [Springer Spaniel]"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Well a good dog != springer spaniel, most of them are born insane. If you want a right good pet dog lad, get yerself a whippet, or if you've a bit of space a greyhound.
    +3 for the greyhounds they are great patient and very lazy dogs that give more love than any animal I have ever had. We lost our first one about 2 years ago and now have another 2. Soon I will be looking for another pair to join them. Its your own choice but to pay nearly a thousand pounds to a breeder when there are thousands of dogs in kennels because they seemed like a great idea at the time is madness

PS my dogs actively tell me to get stuffed if I try to take them out in the rain a spaniel will rip your house to bits if you forget to walk it...

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    My neighbour keeps springers, boy are they hard work! He does a lot of shooting so they get the exercise they need, unless you can provide a similar outlet forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• AlanR
    replied
    Never had a Springer Spaniel so cant comment but we have 2 Boxers at the moment. Brilliant house dogs, easy to train and great with youngsters.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Following on from this dog thread...

This sickens me - I would so much light to punch this woman on the nose and starve her too!

Rant over

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2098341.ece

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    My parents decided to go the whole "animal in captivity" route and got a springer spaniel when I was a lad.

Completely psychotic dog (and well known as a trait of their breed).

It's not wise to make sudden moves around them that could be interpreted as threatening, especially if the one person they latch on to is present.

Eg, sitting in the back of a car, with the dog's favourite driving.

Stopping to get out, and placing your hand on the front seat in order to push it forward.

Dog interprets it as an attack gesture near mistress.

Result...savaged hands covered in blood.

Filthy, foul-tempered beasts.
    Sorry, but that's a symptom of a poorly trained and disciplined dog.

I spent most of my childhood and teens around Springers who were trained gun dogs and their behaviour was superb. Like many collies they're very bright and energetic beasts that need plenty of exercise both mental and physical or they get bored and restless.

In my teens I knew a springer who won many awards as a gun and show dog, he was a big brute, but would walk with anyone, obey commands instantly and had perfect discipline, but he was trained to the gun by experts and properly employed as a gun dog on a frequent basis.
    Working breeds suffer mental and physical stress or if their natural working environment isn't at least simulated and that's why many are regarded as nuts or vicious.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    My parents decided to go the whole "animal in captivity" route and got a springer spaniel when I was a lad.

Completely psychotic dog (and well known as a trait of their breed).

It's not wise to make sudden moves around them that could be interpreted as threatening, especially if the one person they latch on to is present.

Eg, sitting in the back of a car, with the dog's favourite driving.

Stopping to get out, and placing your hand on the front seat in order to push it forward.

Dog interprets it as an attack gesture near mistress.

Result...savaged hands covered in blood.

Filthy, foul-tempered beasts.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    springers need a hell of a lot of exercise, a run round the local park is not enough.

a few mile walk and lots of running for them

also look for a decent dog trainer, as they can be a tad nutty and boisterous.

One is certainly more than enough.

You never know someone might want to sell a retired gun dog or more often than not some are sold as pets as they are crap gun dogs.

Do try rescue centres, better to give an unwanted dog a home.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    We had welsh border collies when I was growing up - fantastic intelligent dogs.
    But I would really recommend going to a rescue centre, there are so many dogs who need good homes.
    Also many breeds of dog have their own rescue society so try googling for them.

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    We have a bi-lingual springer-spaniel/collie cross bitch. Very intelligent in both English and Japanese knowing about 50 words in each language and still learning.

Spaniels are very loyal and loving dogs and excellent with kids. They are also very protective, or at least ours has become since my wife became pregnant.

As for excercise, one hour a day running on the common near our house keeps her happy and docile.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    I tried a rescued Greyhound. They are pretty "institutionalised" when you first get them. Like someone else said they were doing the laying around until there is food or walks, and on the walks chasing anything that moved.

Takes a lot of effort to get them out of it, but I felt I got a really good dog after a few months. Great with the kids. Problem is you get them about 4 years old, and they nearly all develop bone cancer at about 10 years, which is heart breaking for such an athletic animal.

Have a fox terrier now as living in the country they are good for keeping the vermin down. Dead easy to train and so does lots of tricks.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I still maintain a Jack is your best bet, as long as you don't let it outside when a postman may be around.
    Jacks are not the best dogs if you have kids around imo. They can be aggro and snappy with children.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I still maintain a Jack is your best bet, as long as you don't let it outside when a postman may be around.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I agree getting a rescue dog is a great idea, it seems foolish to pay big money for a cat or dog as long as you can put some time in to shop around, and not get pushed into taking whichever dog they want to get rid of.

A greyhound sounds awful, why wouldn't you want something a bit more furry?

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Well it is 06:00am and the wife is still going on about getting the dogs

However! she agrees that it is in fact Cocker Spaniels that we want

Found this web site so I will investigate further...

<link removed by request>
    Last edited by administrator; 14 August 2013, 19:35. Reason: Link removed

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I'd recommend a Sony Aibo, if they still make them.

It won't poo on the carpet. The only running costs are batteries.
    I always thought they missed a trick there: when its "battery low" sensor was triggered, it should have shat the batteries on the carpet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X