• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Debt collectors and court threats"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    I didn't want to shatter his illusion, Jubber, just wait until he wants HP for a new car.

Better hope he can afford to pay in cash...

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    How well is a credit rating linked to one particular person?

Say for example I rent a different place each time I change contracts, do a runner and don't pay the last utility bills, month's rent etc. Are they only going to get me on record at that property, or are they clued up enough to link all my naughtiness together?

Somehow I think it's the former.
    The institution like your current bank will inform on you. Every time you change address (if you tell them) your bank (or other institution that shares information) will inform the credit reference agencies that you have moved and then the credit reference agencies will link your naughtiness together via your old and new address.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not sure but I think it may be true if a finance company does a credit check, i.e. a check with a view to a loan.

But if it is true generally then what's to stop some malicious person making repeated enquiries about a third party whose credit rating they wish to stitch up?
    The cost to the finance company - it used to cost £50 a pop but I'm sure that's gone up since I was in the business...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    I don't believe that's true.

If you keep applying for credit that would look bad, but no record is made of you looking at it. After all, it's your information.
    Quite correct, Beefy.

A Search made by a company looking to extend you credit is quite different to you looking at your own records - indeed Experian have quite a nice little earner where you can subscribe and view your records at any time.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

If you keep applying for credit that would look bad, but no record is made of you looking at it. After all, it's your information.
    Not sure but I think it may be true if a finance company does a credit check, i.e. a check with a view to a loan.

But if it is true generally then what's to stop some malicious person making repeated enquiries about a third party whose credit rating they wish to stitch up?

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...Submitted=true

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Just pay it if you owe.

Surely, as a contractor you should be in the position as plaintiff, not defendant?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

I'd put money on your horse too.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    But don't do it too often as each look is recorded as a black mark.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I got hassled for 15 quid from plus.net when I gave up my broadband, the service was pay as you go and I objected to paying an exit fee.

The debt collectors they passed the debt on to threatened me with court action at which point I called them and invited them to do so. Never heard a peep out of them again.

For all I know I am listed as a bad payer on equifax but you can state your reason for not paying with them and it is up to the next potential creditor to decide the risk involved.

If he has a valid reason for not paying it let each party know by recorded letter.
    yeah a land lord that decided to set up a utility bill for account me and didn't
    ever inform me of this got me into a similar pickle recently. I complained to the debt collection agency and the utility company and they seemed understanding and I paid off the amount that was due immediately. The funny thing was is that they were charging me for time I wasn't there also in my old property.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the utility company and the debt collection agency have black marked me using Equifax and the four other credit rating companies, I'm going to check my name in 1 months time as a one off and get it corrected if they've made a c*ck up and black listed me as a bad payer... I will contest it !

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Have a look at your credit file at Equifax or Experian - it's quite an eye opening experience!
    But don't do it too often as each look is recorded as a black mark.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Have a look at your credit file at Equifax or Experian - it's quite an eye opening experience!

I daren't. Currently blissfully unaware if I'm shafting myself by doing runners from rental properties at the end of each contract!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post

Say for example I rent a different place each time I change contracts, do a runner and don't pay the last utility bills, month's rent etc. Are they only going to get me on record at that property, or are they clued up enough to link all my naughtiness together?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    They don't give a monkey's about your credit rating.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But mortgages are special? There it is 12 years?

Yeah, I'd imagine the bigger the debt the quicker they get off their arses to chase you for it, and don't just resort to the odd 'scary' letter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X