• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt collectors and court threats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get frequent bills through my door, both for previous tenants and for one of 13 different (fictional) properties that the Gas Board are sure are behind my front door.

The largest so far is 260 pounds. None of them get beyond the threating letter stage.

tim

Comment

Is it true baliffs are about to get powers to enter you home and beat you up?

Comment

A friend of mine did some IT work for a debt collection agency in the 90's. According to him, a lot of the debts are "sold" to the agency as uncollectable. If the agency gets any payment from the person then they hand it back to the original company and take their pay off.

His advice was that if you ever get chased by debt collectors agree verbally to pay them in installments of £20 and only make the first payment.

The agency will stop hassling you as the debt has been shown to be collectable (and they've done enough to get paid) and unless the debt is vast, the original company will often just give up.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
          I get frequent bills through my door, both for previous tenants and for one of 13 different (fictional) properties that the Gas Board are sure are behind my front door.

The largest so far is 260 pounds. None of them get beyond the threating letter stage.

tim
          tim123 is really Prince Charles! Long live the Prince!
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
            His advice was that if you ever get chased by debt collectors agree verbally to pay them in installments of £20 and only make the first payment.

Maybe things have changed since the 90s.

I recently came across an interesting term "statute barred", which basically means if a debt has been ignored for over 6 years it can't be chased via court action, as it's deemed to have expired due to inactivity on the part of any debt collection proceedings.

So my advice is keep on running!
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Maybe things have changed since the 90s.

I recently came across an interesting term "statute barred", which basically means if a debt has been ignored for over 6 years it can't be chased via court action, as it's deemed to have expired due to inactivity on the part of any debt collection proceedings.

So my advice is keep on running!
              But mortgages are special? There it is 12 years?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Is it true baliffs are about to get powers to enter you home and beat you up?
                nah, I think you're confusing them with the government
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

This seems to have beome standard business practice with telcos and ISPs (since the Enron/MCI collapse?). It's probably deliberate, as the amount they save by not having proper support staff probably exceeds what they lose by selling debts off to a collection agency.

They don't give a monkey's about your credit rating.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    But mortgages are special? There it is 12 years?

Yeah, I'd imagine the bigger the debt the quicker they get off their arses to chase you for it, and don't just resort to the odd 'scary' letter.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      They don't give a monkey's about your credit rating.

How well is a credit rating linked to one particular person?

Say for example I rent a different place each time I change contracts, do a runner and don't pay the last utility bills, month's rent etc. Are they only going to get me on record at that property, or are they clued up enough to link all my naughtiness together?

Somehow I think it's the former.
                      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                      X