• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1 in 7 German workers works for the auto (and related) industry"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Yes it looks like the internal political pressure to dump the Euro for Germsny could unhinge the Euro - that said the Italians dont want it either - Merckel must know its a vote winner to revert back to the ReichMark - sorry Dmark - but then again ... of course knowing the incompetence of Broons Goons they will probably join the Euro the week before the Germans dump it !!!
    or the week after they dump it!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...which leads me to think that Germany is even more doomed than we think.

1. The luxury car business is yesterday's game. Unlike the Japanese, the Germans have not been looking for alternatives to the internal combustion engine. They have ridden the boom by producing ever more powerful and flash cars which brought in easy income rather than investing in hydrogen/electric etc.
    2. The crash in car sales is dramatic and going to get worse - 30%-50% in some countries.

The equivalent "industry" in the UK is that 1 in 10 employees work for the NHS. But demand for the NHS is only likely to rise in a recession.

I think the Germans will have a worse recession than us, cushioned to some extent by their better benefit system.
    How does this help our economy? I suppose we could export the NHS...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    <snip> but then again ... of course knowing the incompetence of Broons Goons they will probably join the Euro the week before the Germans dump it !!!
    You just took the words out of my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Just want to point out that Audi is actually selling more cars, and is actually expanding production. So as useless car makers such as Rover and Jaguar go to the wall, so better ones will survive. ..
    I can't understand why anyone would pay a fortune for a top of the range car. I paid £5K for my Jag XJ Executive a couple of years ago, and it's never broken down and runs as quiet as a mouse.

There are so many second-hand tip top cars on the market now, being sold for peanuts, you'd have to be potty to buy a brand new one which loses half of its value the moment you drive it out of the showroom.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

I'm fairly sure cars will have been superceded as a form of transport by then.

By horse carts?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's natural time to halt production - maybe they extended the halt by a few days each side, I don't see great crime in it.

I can believe that BMW and Merc lost sales - especially BMW that I think overexpanded their models and undermined value of their brand. Chances are buyers who wanted those now considered buying Audis - next year they sure lose sales, but I reckon they will lose less than their competitors.

Jaguar I think is a goner, but Land Rover should survive it, hopefully since I want to buy one after SKA reaches its imminent success...

I'm fairly sure cars will have been superceded as a form of transport by then.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "Production at the company’s key German plants in Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm will be halted between Dec. 19 and Jan. 9, Audi spokesman Joachim Cordshagen said in a phone interview"
    It's natural time to halt production - maybe they extended the halt by a few days each side, I don't see great crime in it.

I can believe that BMW and Merc lost sales - especially BMW that I think overexpanded their models and undermined value of their brand. Chances are buyers who wanted those now considered buying Audis - next year they sure lose sales, but I reckon they will lose less than their competitors.

Jaguar I think is a goner, but Land Rover should survive it, hopefully since I want to buy one after SKA reaches its imminent success...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Audi are actually hiring.

Jaguar is about to go into receivership.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=germany

"Dec. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Audi AG, Volkswagen AG’s luxury-car brand, said deliveries rose 0.4 percent last month because of new models, defying a global recession and a slump in auto markets."

HTH

That is indeed surprising. But note that

"Production at the company’s key German plants in Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm will be halted between Dec. 19 and Jan. 9, Audi spokesman Joachim Cordshagen said in a phone interview"

And that BMW and Merc have collapsed 25%.

Full marks to Audi, they do indeed make very good cars.

But I would like to see their sales figures next year.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Demand for my skills (which were unfashionable in the boom) is rising exponentially.
    You get more time to post now on CUK then?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Have you got a link for the claim that Audi is selling more cars and expanding production? I would find that extremely surprising.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=germany

"Dec. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Audi AG, Volkswagen AG’s luxury-car brand, said deliveries rose 0.4 percent last month because of new models, defying a global recession and a slump in auto markets."

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Why are you so bothered when you will be out of your cushy City job by end of 2009?

I have just been informed of my bonus for the year. It's 100%.
    Demand for my skills (which were unfashionable in the boom) is rising exponentially.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Just want to point out that Audi is actually selling more cars, and is actually expanding production. So as useless car makers such as Rover and Jaguar go to the wall, so better ones will survive.

Its funny, the UK is basically going down in flames but still comentators, like to pop their head out the blazing cockpit and point the finger at the faint plume of smoke from the German tail plane.
    Well the more intelligent commentators are pointing out that no one is immune to a global recession/depression and in fact the countries who rely on exports more are likely to suffer more as global demand falls off a cliff.

Have you got a link for the claim that Audi is selling more cars and expanding production?
    I would find that extremely surprising.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Its funny, the UK is basically going down in flames but still comentators, like to pop their head out the blazing cockpit and point the finger at the faint plume of smoke from the German tail plane.
    What else they got to do as they did not get parachute beliving that their plane will never fall down? That's why I don't like flying airplanes - going to use trains next time, via France and Germany incidentally

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Most in the city will not lose their job. I expect the intelligent to survive.
    Can't mind the URL but the recent forecast that I read was talking about 30% reduction until end of 2009, that's not far off my own view of around 50% until 2010 or so.

I'd be far happier of London made same or more money from tourists than from the City that barely invests in UK economy anyway - I don't see VCs like in USA putting good money into tech companies, instead of that this country has got Dragons Den

Leave a comment:

Working...
X