• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asking for time off"

Collapse

• Wilmslow
    replied
    As a permie I tell.

However, as a contractor I asked - not that I took much, the money machine makes you not want to take many holidays as a contractor!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    I haven't seen these rules. Or followed them.

But it seems they're not essential as I've been in contract for the last 9 years. Lucky me, eh?

I think I'll carry on using my "happy to apologise, happy to explain" approach.

WHS

I can't see any reason for the "I do what I want because I've got big bollocks" approach.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post

But it seems they're not essential as I've been in contract for the last 9 years. Lucky me, eh?

you turd. you make the rest of us look bad.

fck em, fck em all. thats what I say

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    One of the rules of contracting is 'never apologise, never explain'. Therefore, for one-off absences, don't ask for time off, that is permyish and they may ask you to explain. Simply inform them, or if it's just a day, don't bother turning up. Unless it's near a go-live They won't really care (but they may act like they care) as they're not paying for the absence. If you really feel the need, then call in sick.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Neither. I inform them I will personally be unavailable but reassure that I will make sure they are not adversely affected. All with plenty of notice.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    One of the rules of contracting is 'never apologise, never explain'. Therefore, for one-off absences, don't ask for time off, that is permyish and they may ask you to explain. Simply inform them, or if it's just a day, don't bother turning up. Unless it's near a go-live They won't really care (but they may act like they care) as they're not paying for the absence. If you really feel the need, then call in sick.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Time off?

You mean... not invoicing?

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    I send an email to relevant project manager/whoever along the lines of "Im not going to be here from x to y, let me know if this is inconvenient".

It's never been inconvenient. If it ever was I would either modify my plans to make them more convenient for my client or I would sympathise with their inconvenience and still be unavailable.

Depending on how sick I was of the contract.

A sensible answer because I didn't understand the joke.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    If a Client gets funny about having to "approve" holiday requests, they need to be aware that by doing so they are guilty of direction and control, and all the problems that will cause them, if they are treating you as a "disguised employee".

Always be polite when booking holiday, and given them plenty of notice, but remember, as contractors we nicely advise the Client that we are taking time off. We shouldn't need to ask permission.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I'm not really interested in a serious answer to this question...

Which will almost certainly ensure that this will become the most successful poll in CUK history.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Good link though.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Do they never decline?
    I do try and be reasonable about it and give plenty of notice if it's a significant amount of time - so no it's not happened yet.

(Tempting as it is to take a couple of weeks off at project delivery)

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I guess the fact that the joke was in the link has meant this thread has backfired somewhat.

I'm not really interested in a serious answer to this question...

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Just say I need the time off, but I normally check it will not be an issue first.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Tell. But to be fair that's not much different to when I was a permie, I didn't ask then either.
    Do they never decline?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X