• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are the French wiser than us?"

Collapse

• javacoder
    replied
    I went to France with my younf person railcard. lots of cheap booze there.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not only have they preserved their manufacturing industry, but also their farming industry by insisting on EU CAP subsidies. Plus they are now the leaders in the civil nuclear industry.
    If it all goes Pete Tong, France can feed itself, can Britain?
    I know DA bangs on about "sclerotic" EU economies - but the bottom line is - if you can't feed yourself, everything else is moot.

We have been lied to by successive governments,both Tory and Labour, to believe we are better off than we are.
    Jeez,
    you're a little ray of sunshine these days sg!

Don't worry, be happy I say!

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Oui, the uk is fooked.

The only thing we could rely on after being a financial giant was our engineering expertise and education has gone down the pan in the last decade or so so we are no longer the forefront of god damn anything!

Actually we lead the world in stem cell research, mainly because the bible thumpers don't have us by the short and curlies like they do in the US.

If we handle it right, it could be very lucrative in the years to come. But we've screwed up every other induistry we've lead the world in before so I don't see any reason for optimism this time round.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    395/sq km for England vs 393 for NL (253 for UK as a whole).
    Ah, yes, but unfortunately the rest of the world still sees it as the UK.

Anyway, there's plenty of space oop north if you're not too much of a woofter.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I think we denser than the Dutch now.
    395/sq km for England vs 393 for NL (253 for UK as a whole).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Nope. Malta and the Netherlands have a higher population density. There are a lot of dense people in the UK though, judging by Mr Brown's polling figures.
    I think we denser than the Dutch now.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    France has a much lower population density than the UK. More natural resources if the world collapses into anarchy
    cheap booze

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    France has a much lower population density than the UK. More natural resources if the world collapses into anarchy, the UK is far too full.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not only have they preserved their manufacturing industry, but also their farming industry by insisting on EU CAP subsidies. Plus they are now the leaders in the civil nuclear industry.
    If it all goes Pete Tong, France can feed itself, can Britain?
    I know DA bangs on about "sclerotic" EU economies - but the bottom line is - if you can't feed yourself, everything else is moot.

We have been lied to by successive governments,both Tory and Labour, to believe we are better off than we are.
    I notice there soap manufacturing capacity is still non existant. And they dont import any.

I think we should join them and become protectionist. Lets all do it and see how the frogs get on then.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    We are the European leader in population density, though.
    Nope. Malta and the Netherlands have a higher population density. There are a lot of dense people in the UK though, judging by Mr Brown's polling figures.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Oui, the uk is fooked.

The only thing we could rely on after being a financial giant was our engineering expertise and education has gone down the pan in the last decade or so so we are no longer the forefront of god damn anything!

We are the European leader in population density, though.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Oui, the uk is fooked.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Yes - they strive to mantain their identity, and now they even have a bigger economy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    They do consistently still deposit tulips in holes in the floor though. Frequently I've found (and I did live there for a year) you can leave a restaurant and see yesterday's dinner floating in a nearby ditch too which I always found particularly pleasant.

I'd sacrifice a healthy economy (which theirs isn't anyway) for quality sanitation.

That said, I'm off there tomorrow for a little break.
    Is that what they have done in Manchester?

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    They do consistently still deposit tulips in holes in the floor though. Frequently I've found (and I did live there for a year) you can leave a restaurant and see yesterday's dinner floating in a nearby ditch too which I always found particularly pleasant.

I'd sacrifice a healthy economy (which theirs isn't anyway) for quality sanitation.

That said, I'm off there tomorrow for a little break.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X