• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New gig today, bit of a dilemma..."

Collapse

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    are you an indian ?
    Hmm just realised how that could be interpreted. No I meant it as in Chiefs and indians, not someone of indian race.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    they basically needed an indian who was going to do the 'work' required. .
    are you an indian ?

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Well done, Chris.

I suppose that is a very real advantage of being a contractor. Looking at a piece of work and deciding that it isn't for you.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    You did the right thing by tellin'em to poke their silly little temp job up someone elses ****. Stops those public sector pratts getting off on the fact that they're employing a big Prince2 consultant for a tiny permie fee to do shiite work that's too menial for them.

Will probably now get the plumber analogies and those who say you are letting the client down and that you're not acting as a business..blah. Let them talk to the hand.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    While I agree on one hand that as contractors we do the job and invoice it sounds like this guy has been mis sold the requirements of the contract, data entry is not project management and the longer you dont use your PM skills they start to get rusty.
    Exactly. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    I've made the correct decision, I gave notice and did not go back in.

The job they advertised was quite a good role on paper, it was filling a vacant Government job temporarily as their member of staff was unavailable.

The fact it had no PRINCE2 involved (which was the sole reason I took the job as I'm just qualified with a little bit of experience already) really was the nail in the coffin.

Analysing what happened yesterday, basically the job was a management job but the people on the next rung up have taken over the management responsibilities of the post to plug the gap (the project running, the quality controls, etc (with no methodologies - just go do it approach)) and when I went in there, they basically needed an indian who was going to do the 'work' required. In reality on the job spec it should have been me managing and planning the task, and telling the resources what and when to do it.

It had nothing to do with IT, nothing to do with project management (sadly), sure I could have twisted some parts of it on my CV, but ultimately I'm not prepared to either lie about stuff on my CV or try and do a job I have very little knowledge about as it's not my area or my future. I was actually concerned about it going on my CV as it was pulling me so far out my area I think it may have done bad rather than good on there.

The rate began with a £1xx .... it was essentially a temp/agency job (it was essentially the equivalent to a middle management public sector graded perm post), although I did have a business to business contract for it, from the clients perspective I was just 'agency staff' there to plug a gap. I took the low rate purely for what I thought I would gain experience wise which would have made up for it (run a PRINEC2 project from start to finish) and once it was apparent this did not exist and there was no opportunity, my plan B became more important.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you're going to lie about the contract on your CV, you might as well just add an entirely made up contract!
    whats your prfoblem ?

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    If it really is temp job standard stuff, why not get a subby in to do the data entry, pay them your rate minus X% finder's fee. Where X = whatever you think you can get away with.

You get on with plan B, get shot of some dull work and avoid any potential IR35 issues - boomed

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    It's nothing to do with status its to do with securing a contract that utilises the skills you have.

I've been a PM for about 6 years and been PRINCE2 Prac for a year and a half. So far every role I've had have had some PRINCE involvement but I've never worked in a full blown PRINCE environment. That seems to be the domain of the public sector.

While I agree on one hand that as contractors we do the job and invoice it sounds like this guy has been mis sold the requirements of the contract, data entry is not project management and the longer you dont use your PM skills they start to get rusty.

I'd perhaps do this contract for a limited time if I was desperate, if not I'd walk.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Or, just do the fliping work, take the money, stick on your CV that you are doing PM work on a government project, and get your CV back out there for something better to come along.....AKA BE A CONTRACTOR!
    Excellent advice there. Be creative on the CV after this job, it's about the only way to get your rate up from where you are now.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    WSS, if anything your in a much better position being in a contract and
    trying to negotiate or get a new gig, than from sitting on the bench!

Also sell up the work your doing, so "Inputting data into spreadsheet"
    becomes "Developing systems, processes and procedures to faciliate
    large scale data warehouse and analysis to enable strategic decision making".

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    This sucks man! Can we know what the rate is/was. Well done for walking..

This sounds a total waste of time and very much a office temp type of thing, and it's not even it IT.

If you know a skill, just put it in your CV somewhere nice and prominent. That's what I do and I don't need to do some shiite temp job to justify it.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Where's the dilema here?

You're a contractor - you work for (a) money, (b) experience to go on your CV, which will in the future earn you more money.

You PM's make me laugh - you all want the "status" - if this task you've been given is "beneath" you then stop contracting at once and go and sign up with a consultancy firm, where you can wear your shiney PM crown with glory and be admired from your corner office by all

Or, just do the fecking work, take the money, stick on your CV that you are doing PM work on a government project, and get your CV back out there for something better to come along.....AKA BE A CONTRACTOR!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Sounds like the NHS.
    just what I was thinking!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Stick with it. You'd be mad to pass up the opportunity to get some made-up Prince experience onto your CV. Swallow your pride, it's only a short contract and it might lead to proper work

Jack it in, no question. You would be mad to allow yourself to be treated like a temp, it's not a proper Prince role, you have been led up the garden path mate. Move to plan B immediately
    My sentiments exactly!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X